Thread: Assignment - S.O.C. -- Mistletoebird

Ákos Lumnitzer

Default Assignment - S.O.C. -- Mistletoebird

Attached Images Attached Images

Found a pair of these flowerpeckers (the only flowerpeckers in Oz) on Christmas Day 2008, nesting not far from my home. This is a straight RAW-TIFF-jpeg conversion only. No crop, nada. This is the lady of the house BTW. The male is black/red/white.

TECHS: 30D, 300mm f/4L IS USM + 2x (exif shows lens only as I tape pins on 2x), ISO 400, f/6.3, 1/80th, tripod, flash at about zero with beamer.

Oscar Zangroniz

Great HA and eye contact Akos. I'm sure someone will say something about the light on the right side of the image.
    Regards,

Alfred Forns

Good exposure Akos !! Easy highlight fix !!

Even when I have room (with stationary subjects) I try holding focus and recomposing in camera. No real difference than cropping here but just keeps me on my toes !! btw I'm always impressed with the sharpness of your images at the slow shutter speed !!!

Nonda Surratt

I think Alfred covered it..I like it!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Beautiful HA and details! Well done-

Gus Cobos

Akos, this is very nice..good head angle and eye contact, just needs a little cropping for compositional balance and some selective sharpening on the eye...good show...:cool:

Lance Peters

hi Akos - I like this a lot as well - haven't seen these guys before. Agree with the above comments just the cropping and bg highlight.
    Good show :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very sharp Akos with good exposure on the bird. Just looks like a few bright spots in the BG. Do you use electrical tape to tape the pins???

Ákos Lumnitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Schuknecht View Post
    Very sharp Akos with good exposure on the bird. Just looks like a few bright spots in the BG. Do you use electrical tape to tape the pins???
    Hi Jackie, thanks for your comment.

I could have used electrical tape, but this time it was plain cellophane sticky tape. AF works intermittently, but cannot lock on, at least I rarely managed, but in MF mode I get the focus point light up and confirmation beep when the subject is in focus. :)