Thread: LJ Pelican flight profile

Phil Colla

Default LJ Pelican flight profile

Some days the wind is just not right -- with respect to the sun and the angle the pelicans approach to land -- for shooting pelican flight shots on the main bluff in La Jolla, so my next option is a bend in the sidewalk a few hundred yards down, you know the one, where they come by quite close at eye level, gliding rather than braking to land. Very easy to track because of their smooth flight at this spot, and easy for the AF to lock on. 1DsII / 300 handheld / ISO 400 / f/5.6 @ 1/2000 / manual metering off a gray rock. This is full frame, the detail in the face is rich.

Fabs Forns

Excellent as presented, Phil, I know the spot although I never got a chance to try it.

Alfred Forns

Outstanding Phil !!!! Love everything about it Should have spent more time at that place For a while they were coming straight in Sweet image Big Congrats !!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Lovely image Phil. The 2 tone blue background gives a sense of place.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great light and details. Must look great at 100%. There are some artifacts in the dark blue part of the BG, probably due to compression.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As above, but do understand that DOF is a bigger problem when working at close range... At 1/2000 sec. at f/4 you could have stopped down at least a stop; this would have made the near wing somewhat sharper. IAC, a very nice image. Plus, I love those birds.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.