Thread: Harlequin Duck

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Harlequin Duck

I photographed this Harlequin Duck at Yellowstone in May. I had never seen this beautiful bird in my life prior to this encounter. We were having a picnic lunch and I caught a glimpse of him in a nearby stream. I ran and grabbed my camera and started shooting. He let me get quite close. I debated about cloning out the rock on the left, but I decided that I liked the way it helped frame the duck.

Canon 30D, 500mm, f/6.3, 1/1000, -1/3, ISO 400, handheld, flash

Axel Hildebrandt

I would leave the rock since this is where they are. Good exposure control, too bad you didn't have better light.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not sure better light would have been all that better. It's tough to hold the whites, even on an overcast day. Of course you did a nice job with your recent post, and the light definitely gave the photo a sense of warmth that this one lacks.

Axel Hildebrandt

You're right, to expose harlequins properly is as hard as it gets. But then, they are my favorite duck species and I really like the sounds they make. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes Doug, I think you're right - this duck really pops with warmer light, but good effort, and a new species under your belt!!

Judy Lynn Malloch

Congratulations Doug on a fine image and for getting this image on your first opportunity. < smile > Very nice exposure and detail and many thanks for sharing.

Alfred Forns

Hi Doug I like it a lot The duck looks good and do like the frame Would like to see a little more of the right to have the virtual tail You did great with the highlight areas !!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doug I saw my first Harlequins last April on Vancouver Island. They are beautiful ducks and this image does this drake justice.