Thread: Tawny Owl

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tawny Owl

I’m following this Tawny owl for two years now.
    His home Oak tree is located on the bank of a small river and the owner of that river with his surround area wanted to cut down this hundreds years old tree. The reason? It’s leaning a little bit towards the river so the workers who need to keep the riverbanks in a good condition have to leave there machine for a moment to pass the tree!
    My first attempt to save the tree and the owl’s place was successful; for this year. Now we will work on it to save it for the upcoming years.

So, with these things I can combine my birding protection work a little bit with my photographing job. For two mornings I have put on a hide before the tree and after some hours waiting I could make this shots. Shots with a double thought for me.
    More pictures of it at www.hanbouwmeester.nl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Han, welcome to BPN!! Great first post, lovely subject and a captivating story behind it. Hope you are successful in saving the tree for a longer while.

I really like the image alot. Great setting, and great "framing" by the leaves. However, I would consider eliminating the bright reflections in the leaves...the image would be much stronger and the edges cleaner with those tamed down. Congrats, and keep them coming :-)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN Han! There's a lot to like about this image and the story that accompanies it. Congrats on saving the tree. I like the low angle and the vines growing up the tree. I'd go for a tighter crop that helps emphasize the owl and eliminates the brightly lit leaves. Thanks for sharing!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Keep up the fight. Nice image, and agree with above. I'd certainly crop it much tighter, and possibly try to darken/burn/dull down the tree and branches, to make the owl pop a bit more, as it blends in with its surroundings.

Jory

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Han. Excellent post and story. I really like the ivy vines and leaves framing the owl. Agree with suggestions to tone down the bright spots.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Welcome Han!

Wish you great success with your protective project. Fingers crossed from Australia. You have a fine image. Good composition, and agreed about the ivy frame around the owl. Well done and let's see more!