Thread: brown pelican in flight

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default brown pelican in flight

Attached Images Attached Images

I post to Hand of Man because almost every pelican you see in Pamlico Sound wears a band. We have a dedicated and thorough banding crew - basically two guys - who seldom miss a bird on the spoil islands where they nest.

Brown pelican captured with Canon 40D on aperture priority at 1/1600 @ f/8, ISO 800 with 70-200 + 2x ext

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joel
    I like viewing the underneath side of the pelican. There appears to be a lot of noise in this image and not as sharp as I'd like. The noise could be from a large crop and/or underexposure while the sharpness may be from the use of the 2X TC and a manual focus. If this was a RAW capture, you could rework this one with some noise reduction and other tools to improve it.

Alfred Forns

Can only add I wish you could have made the image before Seems the bird is going away from you Did not mention the exposure comp but from the setting seems way underexposed This is a tough situation since you need to open up for the underside (at least one full stop) but it will get you in trouble with the top of the head Softer light is about the only cure !!!! ..........btw one amazing job of focusing !!!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for recognizing some of the problems. I stand on the end of a pier sometimes and wait for pelicans to fly over. They can come from any direction at any time of day, so you cannot set your camera for sure according to what sector of the sky it will be against - the bright, the dark or in between. Once a pelican gets in range it's too late to change settings. I practice a routine where an approaching bird triggers a mounting of the camera to my eye. As soon as it acquires focus I try to hold the bird in the frame until it begins to extend beyond the circle of focus points. Then I start shooting. Within a second or two, it has become too large for the frame, so I have tried to practice a quarter turn of the zoom ring just at the last second or two as the bird passes overhead. Usually they swing wide and low, positioning themselves against a wall of trees or the creek, both of which are dark and which cause the aperture to open, over exposing the white head. Now I am trying shutter priority, but I expect to incur similar problems. Cloudy-bright days are best.