Thread: Hooded Merganser

Art Peslak

Default Hooded Merganser

Attached Images Attached Images

Manasquan Reservoir, NJ

Canon 1DIII, 600mm f/4 with 1.4 TC, ISO 400, 1/1000 at f/6.3.

This is one of my all time nemesis birds. This guy just swam back and forth in front of me yesterday for quite a while. I coud have used a slightly lower shooting angle but I was shooting from a precarious spot on some rocks on the edge of the reservoir and its as low as I could get.

Art Peslak
    www.natureimagesbyart.com

Del Cockroft

These are cute little fellows but always difficult to expose correctly. You have pretty harsh light which doesn't help the breast area as it looks pretty hot. I think the bird has been over-sharpened as there is evidence of the halo effect along the beak and back of the bird.

Alfred Forns

Glad is not your nemesis any more Art !!!!!! All you needed was frontal or very soft light For lightening the bird I would select it and feather to keep the halos away Very fine image and would be proud to have it !!!! Big Congrats Art !!!

Judy Lynn Malloch

Beatiful capture and very nice timing Art. Congratulations that you were finally able to get this capture. I ditto Alfreds comments. Thanks for sharing.

Fabs Forns

Hey Art, congratulations on getting your Nemesis!
    Agree that a better light angle would have helped, but I see you were standing in the only place possible.

Did you get my e-mail I sent from San Diego? I was using Webmail and I know of another one that didn't make to its destination :(

Threads
    Thank You Posts

One thing about this forum is the oportunity to see so many new bird species - the Merganser is another new one for me - love that hair do!!
    Yes Art, you had some pretty harsh lighting to contend with here. Did you try S/H tool in PS to lighten up the shadow area?
    None-the-less the image has good impact from where I sit!!