Picture Style Standard
    Sharpness 3
    Contrast 0
    Saturation 0
    Color tone 0
    Color Space Adobe RGB
    Noise Reduction Off

Axel Hildebrandt

It's great to see the feet, and I like the soft light. I would crop it horizontally and give it more room in front of the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Zenon;

A striking image, nicely exposed, I like being able to see the feet.

It needs more space to the left. In fact, I think it would be better as more of a horizontal crop if possible, because of the pattern in the background. It is interesting to look at, but it does tend to distract from the bird.

A bit of head turn our way would help too.

Do you have others from this series? It would be interesting to see what a lower shooting angle would have done to the background.

Cheers

Randy

PS: AXel and I were typing at the same time!!

Zenon Char

I don't think I have any more of this series. The original is wider and I cropped it down. This part of my education here. I guess I always thought focus on the animal and forgot about the other aspects that balance the image. Had the same good feedback on a few other images. Here is the original. I can clean up some of those white specs behind the bird.

Fabs Forns

The original is excellent The golden slippers make the image for me. whites are handled very well and the patterns in the water are very cool.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Zenon:

I certainly prefer this crop. The background is still a bit distracting, and the splash draws the eye, but overall I like this better.

Don't feel bad about cropping issues. Unlike Artie, who is so good he sees the crop in ".1" second for most pictures, I often ponder them, and sometimes change my mind.

Keep working it!

Randy

Zenon Char

I think I may have cropped it because it went nowhere for quite a while on another POTD site I submit to. After a while you begin to wonder what you can do to it. I know the judges view 300 images per day for a category and only one wins. Unfortunately catching a judges eye is just as important as quality. Not only that is will they remember it. Brightest lure catches the fish. Well not always.You have a better chance at POTM as you are up against only 30 images. Now quality is big factor. But this is great. I have learned a lot in a short time.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Next lesson: go to Educational Resources and check out the Head Angle Police thread.

What are POTD and POTM?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Zenon Char

Thanks I will.

Photo Of The Day/Month

Zenon Char

There is a lot of great info on that thread. I skimmed through but got the idea. I bookmarked and will give it a good read.

Is there ever a lot of information in the Educational Resources. Wow, what a website this is. My head is starting to swim.

Zenon Char

I think I meant my head is starting to spin. See I was not kidding.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I prefer the second crop, and do like seeing the feet. I too would like more eye contact or a more intense hunting pose for the current head angle.