Thread: Red Shouldered Hawk

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Shouldered Hawk

Attached Images Attached Images

This Guy was hunting one evening in the Everglades. I like the warm evening light.

1DMK2 with 500 f4 and 2 X TC. Evaluative metering at EV - 2/3 ISO 500 with f 8 and 1/1000. Cropped to about 70% of original.

Thanks for looking. All comments most welcome.

Steve Leach

Light is very good,
    I like the background the best though, very nice complementary colors and not a distraction at all.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ed:

I like the composition, placement of bird in frame. Head angle is good, background very complimentary as Steve mentioned.

I think the bird could stand one more round of USM. I looked at it several times, but it just didn't seem critically sharp on the bird. Particularly the head. I would be curious where the original focus point was?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    I think the bird could stand one more round of USM. I looked at it several times, but it just didn't seem critically sharp on the bird. Particularly the head. I would be curious where the original focus point was?
    Interesting. The print at 8 1/2 X 11 is tack sharp. I used PK Sharpener at the web setting at 800 narrow edge sharpening for this presentation. FWIW, I posted the same image with PK Sharpener at web setting at 600 narrow edge sharpening and was told by several it was over sharpened!

Since the print has garnered great reviews by critical people and I have probably sold one image I am happy with the non web version.

I do appreciate your input, so keep it coming.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ed:

I will defer since you have other opinions. I was viewing it on my work monitor, which isn't as sharp as my MacBook Pro. I am on the pro now, and it does look better., but the head is still not to my taste. I am not a sharpness fanatic, and usually error on less vs. more. So, I guess I will chalk it up to my personal interaction with the image, which I do really like.

Cheers

Randy

Art Kornienko

I tend to agree with Randy about the sharpness, I love the overall colours, but find the light a bit harsh.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the light, setting, pose and BG. I think a bit more sharpening for the web wouldn't hurt.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great habitat shot, Ed.