Thread: fm Red-breasted Merganser

Terry Olmsted

Default fm Red-breasted Merganser

Attached Images Attached Images

Edmonds, Washington waterfront, New Years Day. I liked the subtle coloring of the feathers

Canon XTi 400mm f5.6 1/1000s f5.6 ISO 800 (dim light) exp comp +1 Center wt metering

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely soft light, sharp as could be, perfect head turn, wonderful tones to the water, and a lovely subject. As much as I love it, I would, with the ripples much less powerful behind the bird, have preferred that the lens had been pointed a bit more to the left. This would have moved the bird back in the frame a bit and inlcuded more of the sharply defined concentric ripples in front of the bird. None-the-less, this is very well done.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Alfred Forns

Smoking image Terry Agree in getting the bird back in the frame As presented would consider cropping some from the bottom Can only imagine with the full pattern of ripples in front of the bird !!! Love it !!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very well done Terry - the lovely warm colours of the bird compliment nicely with the blue tones of the water. Just a little more space in front for the subject to move into would work for me.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful light, lovely pastel water, very sharp image. The only thing that would improve the image for me is more on the right. Well done.
    Yours in Wildness
    Ted

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Willcox View Post
    Beautiful light, lovely pastel water, very sharp image. The only thing that would improve the image for me is more on the right. Well done.
    Yours in Wildness
    Ted
    Hi Ted,

Did you mean more on the right or more on the left?

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Terry Olmsted

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks a ton for the comments - which sent me 'back to the drawing board.' I did struggle a bit on the original crop. I have re-cropped with more of the concentric circles in front of the bird and just a bit off the bottom. Thanks again!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Terry,

Now you are talking! I would have left a smidge more on the bottom to give the head refelction just enough room. In some instances, especially with waterfowl, getting low is the wrong strategy as you have shown here.

later and love, artie

Terry Olmsted

Thanks very much, Artie!!! I agree with your thoughts on giving the head reflection a bit more space. Thanks also for all the effort that you and all your associates put into BPN. Hope you can come to the Pacitic NW some time - anytime after hunting sesson (ending 1/28) is fabulous on the Skagit Flats! Put on you woolies though :)

Linda Robbins

Beautiful subject, sharpness, and gorgeous water. The repost is great. Lovely capture!

Terry Olmsted

Thanks for the encouragement, Linda!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done, Terry!

Terry Olmsted

Thanks, Bonnie - we are neighbors - I live in Woodway, only about 3 minutes from the Edmonds-Kingston ferry. Nice to see your work, too!