Thread: Great Blue Heron Water Cut

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Blue Heron Water Cut

Attached Images Attached Images

I received a replacement D300 Friday and yesterday I had to photograph the Superbowl of Birding for MA Audubon...and it was mainly people images.

I did manage a little bit of time looking for eagles, but they were distant. I was hoping to find something to try this body on with my 500.

It was cold...22 degrees and much of the river was frozen. I observed this great blue heron sitting on an ice flow coming in with the tide toward me.

I scrambled down the bank as far as I could (it was an ice covered incline and I dared not go lower for a better angle) as the bird flew and headed upriver low to the water.

I locked him, watched him approach and re-acquired focus as the bird grew near. I could see his left wing tip touching the waters surface and fortunately captured one of those strokes. The lighting was lousy, but at least I got to try the new body out :)

The wing tip reflection was intentionally left in the image.

Nikon D300, 500 AFSII and TC14EII. ISO 1000, F8

Gary Dumer

Congrats on the New Body, I like the Wing Drag!! good detail for conditions!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done. I love the slice and the inclusiion of the wing reflection--acutally, you had no choice on that... The merge of the head with the far wing is just bad luck. Exposure excellent as well.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this, the wing tip in the water adds a lot of interest in the image.

Del Cockroft

Glad to see your'e back in business, Jim. Hope the new D300 lives up to your expectations and to seeing more of your work on this really terrific website.