Thread: Great Spotted Woodpecker

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Spotted Woodpecker

Hi

This year I decided to set up a drilled stump at my winter feeding station. The stump was filled with crushed peanut and suet and was found within about 3 hours by this male Great spotted woodpecker, that has been visiting regularly ever since. This has allowed me to build up a good library of photos of the bird doing various things of which this one is a just a straight potrait.

Taken with 1Dmk3 and 500mm lens at ISO320, F5.6, -0.67 EV at 1/400s. Camera supported on tripod with Wimberley head and taken from the 'pop-up' hide.

Cheers

Rich

Gautam Biswas

Very nice image. The exposure is on the dot preserving the whites and still having details in the shadows. There is a nice catchlight, did you use a flash? I am sure you have more in the series with more action.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great exposure control, setting and details. It looks as if there is a slight blue cast, which is easy to fix. Maybe a slightly wider crop, but I like it as is.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird and nice exposure. Very sharp too.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Gorgeous, rich image and I love the stump that the woodpecker is perched on. The whole composition is very striking and excellent exposure and detail. Little more room would be nice but love this as is too. Wonderful capture Rich !!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice close-up encounter with this Woodpecker Rich - I like your tight composition here showing great detail in the subject. Agree that the exposure has been well handled.

Del Cockroft

Is there no end to your talent??? You'll have them eating out of your hand next. Beautiful image, Rich. The exposure, comp and sharpness are just perfect.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for replies and comments. I intended to keep a tight crop on this to give the photo a potrait feel.

Cheers

Rich