Thread: Artie in Action

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Artie in Action

Attached Images Attached Images

This was taken of Artie Morris a couple of weeks ago, with me on James Shadles' Hooptie, and Artie having moved from literally sitting in the water, behind his tripod, to up on the beach/sandbar, I believe shooting spoonbills.

Alfred Forns

Those tripods sure take a beating !!!! .... intense look :)

Julie Kenward

I didn't even know you could do that with a tripod! Beautiful image, Jory!

Gus Cobos

Concentration at it's best...:eek::D:cool:

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Jory,
    A picture is worth a thousand words!
    This pictures says it all.
    Great portrait.
    James

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love images with photographers in action!:)

Why doesnīt he use Lenshood??? I always have them on as protection and against the sun! It canīt be the wight issue?

/Magnus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Thornberg View Post
    I love images with photographers in action!:) Why doesnīt he use Lenshood??? I always have them on as protection and against the sun! It canīt be the weight issue?
    /Magnus
    First off, congrats to Jory on creating such an effective image: the passion and the intensity are quite evident.

Secondly, the 6X tripods do much better with sand and salt water.

As for the lack of lens hoods: they do nothing and make the lenses heavier and a bit more difficult to handle.

What do you think a lens hood protects?

And what is being "protected" from the sun when you use a lens hood?

The only times that I use them are when it is drizzly or raining or in places with wind and dust.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    First off, congrats to Jory on creating such an effective image: the passion and the intensity are quite evident.

Secondly, the 6X tripods do much better with sand and salt water.

As for the lack of lens hoods: they do nothing and make the lenses heavier and a bit more difficult to handle.

What do you think a lens hood protects?

And what is being "protected" from the sun when you use a lens hood?

The only times that I use them are when it is drizzly or raining or in places with wind and dust.

I think the lenshood protects the glass from scratches and dirt! When i put the gear down i use to make it stand on the hood!
    Doesnīt the hood protects from flares? Iīm i newbee so please tell me if iīm wrong!
    I can agree with you that the lens are more difficult to handle with the hood on!

/magnus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Magnus,

re:

I think the lenshood protects the glass from scratches and dirt!

It does keep the lens clean to some degree. As far as scratches, you do need to be careful.

When i put the gear down i use to make it stand on the hood!

And what happens if you or someone else knocks it over?

Doesnīt the hood protects from flares? Iīm i newbee so please tell me if iīm wrong!

With long lenses the hood reduces or eliminates flare less than 1/10 of 1% if the time.

I can agree with you that the lens are more difficult to handle with the hood on!

Correct.

One other point: people think that when they drop their big lenses that the hood will "protect" the front element from damage. The problem is, if you drop a big lens and damage the hood it costs from $550 to $900+ to replace it (depending on the lens). Having the front elements (that is NOT made of optical glass) replaced costs a fraction of that.

/magnus[/quote]
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Magnus,

re:

I think the lenshood protects the glass from scratches and dirt!

It does keep the lens clean to some degree. As far as scratches, you do need to be careful.

When i put the gear down i use to make it stand on the hood!

And what happens if you or someone else knocks it over?

With long lenses the hood reduces or eliminates flare less than 1/10 of 1% if the time.

Correct.

One other point: people think that when they drop their big lenses that the hood will "protect" the front element from damage. The problem is, if you drop a big lens and damage the hood it costs from $550 to $900+ to replace it (depending on the lens). Having the front elements (that is NOT made of optical glass) replaced costs a fraction of that.

/magnus
    [/quote]

Thankīs alot Artie! Isnīt the front element optical glass? I didnīt know that! Is it the same on all lenses?
    Nice to see you in action! You should start a tv show howto photograph birds in the field! I love Wildphotoadventure with Doug Gardner! I think you can do something like that:)

/Magnus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your vote of confidence Magnus. As far as I know, the front elements are not quality optical glass; and they are cheap.

Judy Lynn Malloch

What a fabulous image image and the look says it all. Love it !!!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's very interesting information on the hoods Artie.

You are correct about the front elements - at least on Nikon larger lenses these can be replaced for between $400 - $500. I am sure the Canons are comparable.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image! Artie should be using that one on his website!!

Rebecca Saltonstall

Default lens hoods

That's quite helpful about the lens hood issues. Any one know if the cheaper glass replacement thing applies to Sigma lenses?

Ann Saltonstall