Thread: Barnegat - What can and does sometimes happen

Ed Vatza

Default Barnegat - What can and does sometimes happen

Read his story and check out all the images. We were out to the same spot a day earlier.

http://www.howardsview.com/Jetty/Jetty.html
    Last edited by Ed Vatza; 03-14-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for posting this, Ed.

There are many lessons here, which also apply to our safety in the field wherever we roam.
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow, What an impact that had on me!! I was thinking as I was walking on the jetty-How do all these photographers walk this distance carrying their gear over these rocks w/ o any of them getting hurt? Now I know.

Axel Hildebrandt

I met Howard in Alpha a couple of weeks ago and am glad they pulled him out in time.

Art Grillo

I read about Howard’s accident and the rescue that followed after he posted a link on the JerseyBirds list. Having heard earlier that a photographer had been injured walking the jetty, I was glad to hear that all ended well. His injuries although serious could have been far more severe.

I’ve walked that particular stretch of boulders myself or clambered down a crumbling hillside to get a clear shot, or navigated a rock filled stream to get the perfect angle of a particular waterfall. We do take risks from time to time in pursuit of the perfect shot and I will always think of his ordeal in the future when navigating difficult terrain.

I think it’s commendable that Howard retained his sense of humor and took the time to share this with us; I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

The jetty at Barnegat

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OMG!!!!!:eek: What a story! Howard is a very lucky man. I am very happy that he is ok:). We had a similar incident here in Northern California last December during a Christmas bird count. Unfortunately, it did not end happily, as the head injuries were fatal:(. I have often found myself doing things like this and have thought, "what if I fall and break my camera gear". I will not be thinking that in the future, I will be thinking of Howard!!! But I am curious, what about his gear?

PS, nice poem Howard

Howard B. Eskin

Hello Fellow Bird Photographers,

I am that old man who survived the Barnegat Jetty despite my lapse in common sense. I originally posted the accounting of my ordeal for a couple of reasons, 1) to celebrate my very good fortune and survival and 2) to warn others to please be careful. Hopefully, my example will prevent someone else from repeating my mistake. I returned again last Sunday to Barnegat (two weeks after the original incident) to confront my fears, take some more photos, of course, and go to the Barnegat Light Firehouse to thank my rescuers. I've updated my original webpage at:

I hope to be able to be an active and constructive member of your forum. Thank you all for your very kind comments and good wishes. Hey, may you all have great birding, take lots of fine photographs and for goodness sake, please, please watch yourselves out there!

Regards.
    Howard
    Harleysville, PA

P.S. BTW, I am not related to the Philadelphia sportscaster!

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Howard B. Eskin View Post
    Hello Fellow Bird Photographers,

I am that old man who survived the Barnegat Jetty despite my lapse in common sense. I originally posted the accounting of my ordeal for a couple of reasons, 1) to celebrate my very good fortune and survival and 2) to warn others to please be careful. Hopefully, my example will prevent someone else from repeating my mistake. I returned again last Sunday to Barnegat (two weeks after the original incident) to confront my fears, take some more photos, of course, and go to the Barnegat Light Firehouse to thank my rescuers. I've updated my original webpage at:

I hope to be able to be an active and constructive member of your forum. Thank you all for your very kind comments and good wishes. Hey, may you all have great birding, take lots of fine photographs and for goodness sake, please, please watch yourselves out there!

Regards.
    Howard
    Harleysville, PA

P.S. BTW, I am not related to the Philadelphia sportscaster!
    Good to see you here, Howard! I went to Barnegat Light on Saturday morning, too, and walked very carefully. It really is important to have shoes with good traction on the jetty.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Howard, Thanks so much for the warning-Ican't believe it doesn't happen more often. Happy you're okay!!

Michael Pancier

out of curiosity, when is the best time to go out there for bird photography?

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pancier View Post
    out of curiosity, when is the best time to go out there for bird photography?
    I've been there only in the winter because it is a reliable place to find harlequin ducks and purple sandpipers.