Thread: Does this work for you? Or is this too much of a distraction?

Brian Wong

Default Does this work for you? Or is this too much of a distraction?

Attached Images Attached Images

Does this work for you? Or is this too much of a distraction?

This image (photographed last weekend) is the result of trying to practice what I've learned during Jim Neiger's large lens, hand-held workshops.

The image is almost full frame (very unusual for me) ... I cropped a little from the top and left so that it wouldn't be so "centered".

I'm undecided if it "works" ... I could clone out the ball & string ... or I could also add more canvas below .... but after looking at it (for probably for way too much time), I sort of like it as-is ... with the anchor ball at the edge of the frame. My eye doesn't seem to want to go outside the image (but I'm not sure)..

What do you think? Any suggestions and comments on this, or anything else to help me is very much appreciated! Thank you for looking!

EOS 40D, 500 f/4 IS
    2500, f4.5, 400 ISO, handheld, manual exposure

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whether the string distracts or not has a lot to do with what you are trying to say with the photograph. Is the string something to do with training?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian
    I really like the the angle of the bird.....nice in your face position!! I agree with Jim.......it all depends on the use of the image. If you are demonstrating a training technique, then I think it tells the story. If you just want a bird in flight, then I'd clone it out.

Brian Wong

Hi Lana and Jim, Thank you for your comments!

I was a spectator trying to practice some BIF photographs ... but I believe the ball/string is part of a lure / training device. (BTW ... the ball is not really an "anchor" ... as the bird was NOT tied down ... the bird flew freely and captured the lure in-flight ... and then flew off with it).

Anyway, maybe a little "edgy" ... and the string does seems to curve upward toward the subject. Maybe something a little different, and interesting.

Bob Reimer

This probably works better at a larger size. I would add some canvas to the bottom to get that ball off the "ground" to be clear that the bird is not tethered. You can see that the ball is probably just a weight on the lure that the bird has picked up in its talons but that's not clear at a glance. The background does appear a bit cluttered so if you could smooth it out a bit more, the bird would probably pop out more.

Brian Wong

Hi Rob!

Thank you for your comments. This is a great place to learn! ... and I will try working on your suggestions.