Thread: Lumberjack?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lumberjack?

Attached Images Attached Images

While photographing with Lou Newman and Ron Mayberry in Sarasota Bay on Ron's boat, we had lots of Brown Pelicans bringing rather large items to their nests. This bird (with a Sabal palm ??? branch) was photographed with the (much maligned) Canon 100-400 IS L Zoon lens at 310mm (handheld) with the EOS-50D. ISO 640. Evauative metering +2 stops: 1/1000 sec. at f/5.6 set manually.

Quick Masked the mangrove and applied a 40 pixel Gaussian blur.

Thanks for the ride, Ron!

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. I am here to learn too.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

That is a heck of a branch. I am surprised he can fly with it! Must have been a still day.

I like the head angle, sharpness and composition. If possible, just a bit more detail under the wing and on the torso. The bird looks just a bit washed out to me, perhaps a couple points more of saturation.

The branch is what makes it!

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 03-09-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Grammar

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, the much maligned 100-400...hmm, I see you are getting great results with that lens too. Why am I not surprised!? :-)

I'm wishing the underside of the pelican would be better lit. Otherwise pretty neat! That is some big piece of vegetation it is bringing to the nest, very cool. The OOF mangroves are an important element to the comp...I'm sure many would have been tempted to eliminate them - glad you didn't!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Artie: That is a heck of a branch. I am surprised he can fly with it! Must have been a still day. I like the head angle, sharpness and composition. If possible, just a bit more detail under the wing and on the torso. The bird looks just a bit washed out to me, perhaps a couple points more of saturation.
    The branch is what makes it! Randy
    It was actually quite breezy. I did the best that I could with the color; it was a white sky/cloudy dark day.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like some type of ornamental bamboo but I don't mind standing corrected.

I like the inclusion of the mangroves. Sometimes there is more to a good bird / wildlife image then just critiquing the subject itself

Patty Sullivan

I was just carrying some lumber yesterday (for a support for a sunblock cloth for my garden,) and that is exactly how I carried it. Love those Pelicans. Great shot. Can't wait to get this garden work done and get back out there!