Thread: Hooded Merganser (male)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hooded Merganser (male)

This AM on the Scarborough Marsh. Almost no open water left on the tidal river where these birds feed. 30D, 500mm, AF, ME, iso320, 1/1250 at f5.6 - handheld (no BushHawk today). Bob

100KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done. Waiting another half second to get the bird completely in the light water while keeping the dark stuff as a border might have been an option. This species has what I call floating pupils; it is virtually impossible to get them sharp no matter the aperture or the shutter speed...

Try this: select the pupil (a Quick Mask is best), hit Shift Control I to select inverse (the pupil), hit CNTRL J to put the pupil on its onwn layer, and then hit CNTRL U. This will bring up a Hue-Saturation dialogue box for the layer only. Now de-SAT the pupil about 80-90% and move the Lightness Slider to the left about the same amount. That will make the pupil darker and it will appear sharper. If it looks too much like a cookie-cutter eye, simply reduce the opacity of the layer to taste before you merge the layers.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Art, Thanks, I will give that a go. The next frame with all ice BG has too much ripple for a clear reflection. Bob

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the eye looks plenty sharp, but the position of the bird in the frame might be better if it were tighter on the left, and off center with the bird higher in the frame.., either way, excellent shot of a tough species!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

While the reflection is certainly a strong compositional element. I think the sharp line created by the reflection in the tree pretty much negates the advantage of keeping the reflection. I'd go for a nicer BG with less reflection, or a good bit of PS work on the BG to get rid of the distractions.

That said, this is a really nice capture of a shy bird.

I see you mentioned a Bushhawk. What is your opinion of them? I was thinking that a bushhawk would be great for low angle photography while laying on the ground. Especially if one could affix a bipod or attach it to a low ground pod.

Best,
    Jim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

BushHawk - Love it! But for prone it does not work for me. Where it dose work is: Flight shots, low light/lower S/Ss with and without IS and is the best for fast pace action when you can not predict where and what is coming your way! I have no idea where my tripod is. Bob