Thread: Canada goose

massimomossi

Default Canada goose

Attached Images Attached Images

I took this yesterday at the Muscatatuck NWR in Indiana. Not much else in the water besides large flocks of canadas, which gave me time to work on technique. This is not the most exciting capture, but I think this is sharper than my last post, and I figured out how to do noise reduction in PSE. Am aiming for clean and detailed pictures, even if not amazing (can't exceed the camera's reach, obviously). Used the car window as brace (motor off), shooting from slightly above the bird. Cloudy mid-afternoon light with occasional pale sun.

Very slight crop off the bottom edge of the picture, selective sharpening of the eye, and nothing else as far as editing. For some reason, I lost the capture info transferring from RAW, so I don't have any tech data other than I compensated for the exposure by +.7 stop in order to get as much detail in the dark plumage as I could--there is some if you enlarge the picture. Olympus SP-570UZ, 92mm + 1.7 "over the lens" teleconverter.

Lance Peters

Hi - wel done - xposure looks pretty good to me - I can see details in the black plumage and it is better detail wise.

I think the best advice I can give is ... Your camera has a 20 X zoom which is like 400mm in DSLR terms which is not too bad at all, so what I would concentrate on is "getting physically closer to your subjects rather than relying on your tele converter". You will be amazed how close you can get to wild birds (at times). It requires you to know a little bit about their behaviour -- approach slowly and low, take your time and stop for a bit anytime your bird becomes startled or stops what they are doing to look at you.

A slow low respectful approach will get you within feet of your bird many times and this is were your camera will shine - becuase it is so much smaller it is less likely to frighten the bird off.

Keep them coming :)

Gus Cobos

Hi Massimomossi,
    I like the capture...agree with Mr. Peters' assessment...I would recommend you opening up the eye just a tad and selective sharpening it again, also would crop 1/4 from the top of the frame...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Alfred Forns

Great advice from Lance !!! Do try to get close will work !!!

As presented might take some from the top !! You did real well with the exposure !!!