Thread: Smokey Mountains

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Smokey Mountains

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Roman, In response to your challenge i decided to share this one.
    This image was made Oct 07 near Gatlingburg Tn.

20D
    F 16
    4s
    Iso 100
    compensation -1 1/3
    50mm

All comments are appreciated

Jude Haase

Adam....very strong composition here.....only nit would be wanting to see a lil more detail in the washed out areas in the water. Depending on the time of day, sometimes this can be hard to get without double exposure. Other than that.....very very nice image!! :)

Robert Amoruso

Attached Images Attached Images

Adams,

I like the composition here and even that delicate green plants leaves poking in at the upper right corner. One small bright spot along the top edge I would clone out.

I reposted with a very heavy usage of a shadows.highlights adjustment for both shadows and highlights. USe large amounts and 50% tonal ranges.

Paul Marcellini

I like the comp with the opposing dominant "falls" and Robert's edit looks great. If you can cleanly pull that detail out in the raw it will be really nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Amoruso View Post
    Adams,

I like the composition here and even that delicate green plants leaves poking in at the upper right corner. One small bright spot along the top edge I would clone out.

I reposted with a very heavy usage of a shadows.highlights adjustment for both shadows and highlights. USe large amounts and 50% tonal ranges.
    Sorry Robert but it doesn't work for me, it looks too fake, I guess something in the middle would be just right, just my opinion.
    Nice details on rocks and environment.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Adams,Welcome to the forum and thanks for responding to the challenge! I do like the flow of the water compositionally and as robert mentioned the boulder placement in the frame is also very well done. I think robert's re-post shows the possibilities of bringing up some of the shadow areas and taming some of the highlights. In the field next time try bracketing with the ISO and then adjusting the SS.........even though I like the silky look of the slow SS......sometimes it does overpower the scene. This all depends on the amount of flow over any given cascade and also the amount of seperation present in it.along with the SS chosen for that particular flow......that is why now I bracket my waterfall exposures with ISO and SS......to see which flow pattern works best. I still think you did a very nice job compositionally.....so try to go back and tweak some of the highlights and shadows.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for the comments above.

Robert: I like the repost, to be honest with you I've only noticed the leaves in the upper right when i saw the image reposted.

Roman: Even though I don't participate posting and commenting in the landscaping forum a lot, I visit the forum every time that I loggin to BPN. There is always a lot to learn here from you guys.

Adams