Thread: Aurora Borealis

Jasper Doest

Default Aurora Borealis

Attached Images Attached Images

One of nature's most stunning creations...the Aurora Borealis. I feel a photograph is never good enough to describe the experience of such magic above your head. But as I was leading a workshop on photographing the northern light I thought I'd gave it a try. This was taken using a D300 (as my D3 was in backorder at that time....). I'm already looking forward to next year's workshop, with even more wideangle :)

Nikon D300
    Nikon AF-S 14-24/2.8G @ 14mm
    20sec @ f/2.8
    ISO400, RAW
    Gitzo tripod, remote + mirror lock-up

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Jasper,
    I am hesitant to say anything that could even be percieved as negative about this image.........because it is so stunning!!! I think you know where I am going with my comment(because of your comment on more of a wideangle).....as I would have preferred a hair more base......but as presented.....this is super.......more base....super duper????(have to think of something) I think this was very well done and I can't wait for your next attempts!!!

Robert Amoruso

Jasper,

I have to agree with Roman on this. Stunning but with more base at the bottom MORE stunning. Actually I really like the textures on the ground and want to see more.

Is this from the Svalbard workshop? I saw your post this morning for the workshop and it got me thinking. Three persons only. I find it very attractive. I may have some questions coming to you.

Axel Hildebrandt

I would love to see this sometime, it really does look amazing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jasper, I agree with previous posts and would only love to have an opportunity to photograph something this beautiful. Very nice job on this!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Truly an amazing photo of an equally amazing phenomenon. Agree about more room at the bottom.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

To me your preference for more sky than mountains is perfect since that is your main subject.
    I can't wait to see your new compositions with that wide lens. By the way, did I mentioned that I find this image outstanding?

Cheers.

Paul Marcellini

Great stuff Jasper. With something as simple as that sky, you should try some stitching, maybe a vertical pano. Should be simple enough. Still awesome, would love to see it one day.

José Rodríguez

Superb Jasper. I also should like more base, and would love to explore a vertical view with a 10mm, but don´t missunderstand me, your image and those colours are outstanding!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Phenomenal is exactly the word for this. I can imagine you chose bottom border very carefully and cut out a not-so-attractive base, so I will not say I wish for more. The subject is the sky, and what a sky. The mountains ground it and let you know you're on Earth and not another planet. WOW

Tom Dolezal

Superb capture