Thread: Spiny Caterpillar

adcolon

Default Spiny Caterpillar

Attached Images Attached Images

Another lightbox photo with two 60 watt daylight bulbs, one 800 watt automotive garage light and macro fill-flash with StoFen diffusers (the macro flash was directed to the sides of the box). I used a piece of light-green construction paper for a seamless background and to emphasize the colors of the caterpillar. The insect was not harmed. Please note that if you try something like this you must return the caterpillar to the same plant or one identical. They are very plant-specific. Canon 50D, Canon 100 macro, ISO 100, f/16 @ 1/250 sec.

Fabs Forns

Wow, AD, this looks almost like an illustration, very well done. Thanks for the adivse on how to treat the little critter :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice job on this and the technicals. My only preference would be for the subject to be on a diagonal otherwise, well done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely posed and lighted, Alfredo. This really emphasizes the colors and "spikiness" of the caterpillar. I fully agree with your handling comments. Also, when insects like this are brightly colored and/or have spikes such as this one does, it's usually for a reason, and people should take care in handling them until they know them to be harmless. :)

Ed Vatza

Excellent image, Alfredo. Everything looks great. My only nit is that the blacks look just a bit heavy. But that may accurately represent the actual color.

Julie Kenward

I really love this Alfredo but find myself wanting there to be a little more depth of color or contrast in the plant. It seems to be floating against that light green BG.

The caterpillar is excellent - almost surreal!

Mike Moats

Hey Alfredo, Very well done, good details, BG and colors. I agree with Dave and a slight diagonal positioning would give it a less composed looks, still excellent as is.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Critiques covered.
    Great information on many caterpillars being plant specific.
    James