Thread: Herring Gull Portrait

Gary Murray

Default Herring Gull Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi All,

This my third post, and I believe I got it right this time!

Attatched is a portrait of a Herring Gull for critique/comment. It was taken At Lawrencetown Beach Nova Scotia Canada, whilst I was on a self assignment to photograph winter surfing. Yes, winter surfing!
    It has cult status in surf circles, and I have posted some images of it on my blog which I will provide the address for below.

Back to the Gull, the rock it was on, dropped off, hence the negative space to the left of it. I've used an image of him looking back as I felt it would be too much weight on the right side of the frame if he was loking ahead. The original file is Sharp, and he has a bead of water on his bill.

Canon 5D, 300 F4l IS lens with 1.4 T.C., on a Manfrotto tripod, at f5.6, 320sec.

cheers, happy shooting!
    Gary Murray
    Nova Scotia Canada
    http://garyamurray.blogspot.com/
    http://www.pbase.com/pgns/gmurray

Judy Lynn Malloch

Hi Gary and a big welcome to you. Very lovely first post. It is framed well with a beautiful pose and and a low angle which adds a great deal to this capture as well as lovely eye contact. I think it is a very fine image and other than a little USM to sharpen and perhaps a touck of S/H to bring out a touch more detail it is a very pleasing capture, thanks for sharing and I love your part of the world.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gary,
    I'm inclined to agree with Judy. I do think that a little more foreground (the rock) would have been a nice touch, and that you now need to work with Curves to give the image some contrast. In its present form, the image is very "flat," so shadow/highlight might not really help much, as S/H is designed to downplay contrast, whereas you want to add contrast and make the whites "pop."

Mike Wilson

Nice Gull. I think more contrast and going brighter would make it pop.

Axel Hildebrandt

Very nice, Gary. I agree with the other comments and would go for a wider crop.

Gary Murray

Thanks for the comments, they are quite informative. will try increasing contrast, and adding a little exposure. I am new to digital, so am getting used to processing images. the image is full frame bty.

This Forum is awesome!

Gary.