Thread: Dragonfly on a flower.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dragonfly on a flower.

Here's another macro I've captured that has had moderate sales, but that I think could be a lot better. I think the BG works, but that another stop would've been better, and the light angle is a bit off for my taste.

Canon 1DsMII, EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro, 1/640, f/6.3, ISO 400

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the head, leg, body detail. I got a bunch of technically nice dragonfly images this summer but the wings were often messed up as in your image. Great BG.

Mark

Threads
    Thank You Posts

lovely sharp portrayal of the legs and body of this dragonfly Bob, but the wings can often be a problem with this insect.

Matthew Pugh

Hi
    It is a nice composition of this good looking Dragon. Although I would agree that the lighting is a little upon the harsh & directional side of things. The directional aspect perhaps placing more eye emphasis upon the tail and back head areas of the subject, rather than the frontal head areas.
    But in this light I think you have controlled this situation well
    All the best
    Matthew

Mike Moats

Hey Bob, Nice comp. its always tough shooting this subject as the length of the wing span makes it very difficult to bring all of the dragon in focus and blur out the clutter in the BG. As you and Matthew points out the light is slightly on the harsh side. I've used diffusers to help shade the areas in the BG to help soften the light.