Thread: Florida Scrub Jay

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida Scrub Jay

Are there any Florida Scrub Jays in the Fort Myers area? If not where are the nearest? I would like to be able to photograph them but certainly not if if it would cause a disturbance to these lovely endangered birds.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike the only place I know is at Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge down there Scrub jay trail. I do not know any place on the west coast.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The closest place to you is Oscar Scherer State Park in Osprey or Nokomis, FL just south of Sarasota. This park is known for their scrub jays. Good luck.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You might try Oscar Scherer State Park (Osprey FL, just south of Sarasota). From the park website

"A large acreage of scrubby flatwoods makes this park one of the best places to see Florida scrub-jays, a threatened species found only in Florida. The park protects scrubby and pine flatwoods that were once widespread throughout Sarasota County."

I stopped by there a couple of months ago and found some scrub jays without too much trouble.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not close to you but they can be found in the Deland area as well.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is a park by Lake Placid on 27 highway called "Lake June in the Winter." There is a sign on the highway. The road JUST outside the park has several Jays. They are very curious and are easy to photo if you drive slow and give them a chance to come out. There are several other small birds in the area, Towhee's, Pileated's, etc. The park is a small park so most of the action is the road. Be sure to check a birding guide as you will be close to several other great upland locations.
    Hope this helps,
    Larry <><

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks to you all for the info. The park near Sarasota is probably the nearest and as I intended to go up there that is probably where I'll end up.

Again, thanks for the help.

Mike

Judd Patterson

While at Oscar Scherer, be on the lookout for Gopher Tortoise too...lots of those guys criss-crossing the trails!

Michael Pancier

Another great location if you can get north of Tampa is the Cedar Key Scrub Jay Nature Preserve....

http://www.floridastateparks.org/ced...ub/default.cfm

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is there a good spot for this species in the Kissimmee area? I will be there (here!) for a cupla weeks:)

Judd Patterson

Dan, I'm not aware of any location closer than Merritt Island NWR, but let's hope that someone else might have an idea for you!

john holmes

Tippecanoe Enviro Park, Pt. Charlotte is said to have some? Check it on the Fl. Birding Trails.

john holmes

http://charlottecountyfl.com/Parks/P...es/Tippecanoe/

Sorry County Park, info says they have Scrub Jays

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Brown View Post
    Is there a good spot for this species in the Kissimmee area? I will be there (here!) for a cupla weeks:)
    Dan,

I would check with the rangers at Lake Kissimmee State Park. I could swear that is where I first saw scrub jays while on an audubon hike.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks to everyone who suggested a location for the Florida Scrub Jay. We ended up going to Oscar Scherer State Park. It's not often seeing a bird has me laughing but these birds are special. The ranger we asked suggested the entrance to the Yellow Trail and sure enough we walked up and there they were , 5 of them. They were certainly not shy birds! One perched on my wife's head, one on my lens, I guess visitors to the park have been feeding them.