Thread: Great Grey Owl

Mike Robinson

Default Great Grey Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

Going through my old files from 2007 deleting images when I found this image and decided to convert it in LR2. In 2007 I found and photographed so many GGO's that I had hundreds of images, whereas last year I didn't see a single specimen in YNP.
    Canon 1DM2N, 500f4, Iso 400, 1/250 @f4, Gitzo

Ákos Lumnitzer

Beautifully presented Mike. If anything a little more head turn to show the left eye better would be awesome. Funny, I cannot see the talons hanging onto that gorgeous perch. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike,
    Great feather detail and nice background. We don't ever get any of these guys out my way (Vancouver Island). The closest one that I have heard of here was in the lower main land of British Columbia. Nice shot.

Steve

Judy Lynn Malloch

Stunning presentation Mike with a wonderful pose and great eye contact and BG. It looks a tad over sharpened on my monitor. Congratulations on a superb image. Wish it were mine as well as the pygmy owl of yours. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A agree it looks somewhat oversharpened...and perhaps a wee bit too light? I'm not used to seeing these guys so light, maybe it's just the individual but I still think darkening it a bit would work well. Great perch and BG. The dusting of snow on the perch is a nice touch :-)

Fabs Forns

Wow, I've never even seen one, end of the year, save one for me ;)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I also find your image a bit over sharpened.
    The color of feathers could also need a bit of darkening or contrast, I tried, but since this is an unknown species for me, I just played with curves a litttle, hope you don't mind.

Perch, background, light and subject are great. Congrats on such a GGO!
    Last edited by Juan Carlos Vindas; 01-15-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Mark Schmitt

One bird I'd love to get an image of some day. There used to be several of them last year; not so many this year. The composition is good over-all. Nice perch and BG. Have to agree, though: it is a bit over sharpened.