Thread: Gatorland Rookery Update - January 2009

Threaded View

Mike Godwin

Default Gatorland Rookery Update - January 2009

Happy New Year Everyone! Thought I would drop by and fill you all in as to what's happening at Gatorland. Today was my first day back at the park for almost a month... I've been on vacation resting up for the Birding Season, and judging by what I saw today, it's going to be a banner year of birding at Gatorland!!!

Walking around the Rookery area today I counted 14 Great Egret nests along with several DC Cormorants nests. The Wood Storks were staking out their nesting areas with several under construction. This year they have moved all the way down to the south end of the east bank area, basically taking the top layer of the entire east bank. I'm very excited to see this Wood Stork colony develop, as they only started nesting at Gatorland 3 years ago. This year I anticipate having around 20 nesting pairs at Gatorland, so for you Woodie lovers... you should have lots of great photo opportunities!

That's it for nesting, but there are quite a few other birds in the Rookery with several in courtship, such as a pair of BC Night Herons feeling frisky and flying around the Breeding Marsh. Plenty of Blue Heron, although it doesn't appear as though they will nest this year. A few Tri's and Snowies are around, but they won't arrive en masse for another month. Spoonbills have been around, although I did not see any today. I am expecting to have several Spoonbill nests at Gatorland this year.

Bottom line... things are starting early this year, and are already off to a great start!

Speaking of starting early, Gatorland will begin the extended Rookery access "Dawn to Dusk" program on February 4, 2009 with early entry at 7:30 am and the ability to stay past closing time until dusk. This new program will run Wednesday through Sunday February 4 - June 28, 2009.

That’s 5 months of extended access to the Gatorland Rookery!

In these rather tough economic times, we understand the fact that money may be a bit tight, especially after buying all that new photo gear for Xmas! This year, Gatorland is going to "open up" access to the Rookery with an option sure to fit any budget. So, if you'll excuse the shameless advertising, here's what we have available in 2009. Through January, the Rookery can be accessed daily during normal business hours (9:00am - 5:00pm). Beginning Wednesday, February 4, 2009 early morning access to the Rookery will be at 7:30 am every Wednesday through Sunday for Annual Photo Pass, Single Day Photo Ticket, and Birding Tour Ticket holders.

As always, if any of you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email, pm, post, or heck... just give me a call at Gatorland. My new D300 arrives tomorrow, so I should have some new photos to post soon. Happy New Year and Great Shooting everybody!

Mike Godwin
    Gatorland
    Last edited by James Shadle; 01-06-2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: More advertisement than update.