Thread: Canary Islands

Forum Participant Valerio Tarone's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canary Islands

As every year I begin to plan something: idea is the Canaries (the blooming in may). the question directed particurarly to the spanish (Luis Aragones?) : the Fuerteventura's Oubara is it worth, is it difficult to be seen?
    which island do you prefer? my frienof the travel agency says Gomera is quieter and delightfull.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Valerio

I went to Tenerife in April 2007. Fortunately the hotel I picked down in Puerto de la Cruz, in south of island, had a small area of parkland and scrub area to the rear which was alive with birds. The main birds photographed there were Canaries, Canary Island Blue tit, Canary Island chifchaf, Sardinian Warbler and Turtle Dove. There were also plenty of Spanish sparrows in the fountains around the town. If you end up on Tenerife a trip up Mount Teide is well worth doing not only for the scenery but it is quite easy to find the endemic Berthelot's Pipit up there in layby along side the road. Another place that should be visited on Tenerife is the Las Lajas Picnic site on the road to Villaflor where you cam find the endemic blue chaffinch. If you check the first three posts for April 2007 on my Blog then it will show you some photos and give some more info.

I hear Fuerteventura can be very good as you also have some African species on that island but it can be very windy. I also hear the Gomera is one of the best island to visit. Wishing you a successful trip whereever you end up going to.

Cheers

Rich

Forum Participant Valerio Tarone's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, thank you. I'll take it in mind.