Thread: Two of a kind

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Default Two of a kind

A pair of Black Winged Stilts.

Photo taken with a Canon 30D with a 300mm F4 IS, 1/500 sec, F10, ISO200, pattern metering and AP exposure.

Axel Hildebrandt

Nice parallel action and exposure control. The relatively high angle helps keeping the birds separated. I only wish the were walking toward you for better eye contact. Alternatively, you could have moved to the right.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Chris,

Very nice selection of subject.

From your settings I see you have a small aperture for good DOF. I guess it was enough to keep both birds in DOF range. Looks like your focus point was on second bird and 1/4 of the filed was enough to cover 1st bird. While photographing multiple subject is essential to have good DOF range and focus point on closest subject. That would have had both birds in focus.

When I looked at image, both birds were contesting for attention. i was not able to identify a strong subject to concentrate on. My solution would be to have a good amount of space around the subjects to make them look like single subject . My take would be something like this,

john crookes

I hope that there is a glitch in the repost as i see a distinct line across the front of the birds and the top is very distracting

Mike Poe

I agree with Sid's take on focus. It appears the 2nd bird is more in focus to me than the foreground one. Also this is one of those situations that the higher angle works better by giving separation as mentioned by Axel rather than getting lower.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Thanks folks for the advice. I will find the original RAW file and play with it to get your suggested effect.

Sid, there definitely seems to be a vertical separation line just in front of their beaks and some swirls to the top and top right which I assume came from your adjustments to the original image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher C.M. Cooke View Post
    Sid, there definitely seems to be a vertical separation line just in front of their beaks and some swirls to the top and top right which I assume came from your adjustments to the original image.
    Chris,

Its a quick way of stretching even background. I intention was to show composition.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Thank you Sid.

The original RAW filke was MUCH larger and gives me much room for expansion. This image is heavily cropped as the birds were a good 150 yards away.