Thread: Snowy Owl II

Axel Hildebrandt

Default Snowy Owl II

Attached Images Attached Images

I photographed this bird on the same day as the previous one. It is not the same bird, though. There is less black in the plumage.

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/640s, f/8, EC +0.67, ISO 400, cropped from horizontal
    Last edited by Axel Hildebrandt; 12-21-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, that's all I can say!!!
    I must come to North America to see these beauties.
    My only nit is, and may be is not so important, but the left iris don't look as dark as the right one. I believe this is important since as viewers we concentrate on the wonderful eyes this owl have.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i like how the sea oats perfectly frame the bird. well done, axel! i really want to see these birds in person.

Glenda Simmons

I just can not find anything to not like about this image. The pose and angle you shot at are great. I especially like the sea oats for a touch of habitat and the light blue background really makes the owl stand out.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlos Vindas View Post
    Wow, that's all I can say!!!
    I must come to North America to see these beauties.
    My only nit is, and may be is not so important, but the left iris don't look as dark as the right one. I believe this is important since as viewers we concentrate on the wonderful eyes this owl have.
    Thank you, Juan. The reason is that only one eye is sunlit.

Tony House

I would love to point my lens at one of these beauties, no nits from me....

Nice work.
    Tony

Art Kornienko

Hi Axel, I don't really like the sea oats in the shot, I find them distracting to the Snowy, but can understand it is a habitat type of shot, but that's just me. I would have preferred a little darker sky and a bit more contrast, but those are personal preferences and not intended to reflect on your shot. It is still excellent and I know how hard it is to get this type of picture. I especially like your angle for the shot, the colour balance and the Snowy looks just gorgeous. Congrats.

Julie Kenward

This is beautiful, Axel. I understand the lighting on the eyes but wonder if lightening the other one wouldn't make the eyes pop even more? This image really is breathtaking. Gosh, I wish I could get some owls to come out and pose for me!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really love it. The habitat makes it and the eyes. No problem with one of them being darker as one is in shade more than the other.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like your carrefully chosen perspective and I like the sea oats surrounding the bird. If you make a QM of the right pupil and darken it a bit the eye will look as sharp as the left eye (even though they are lit differently).
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it! Comp, ambient, pose, colours, and detail are exquisit! Congratulaitons! Superb shot!

David Hemmings

Yet another beautiful snowy habitat image. The angle and the grasses make this shot imo. I also like the fact that you were able to keep the face clear of any obstructions:)

Leroy Laverman

Really great shot Axel. The POV and backward glance on the owl are very nice. I took this into photoshop and increased the saturation to see what it might look like with bolder colors (especially the sky). It give the image a different feel but you might give it a go yourself to see if you like it. I inceased the overall saturation by +48 and the yellows were decreased by -40. I do like the softer colors on you OP as well.