Thread: Mallard (Female) Part II

Rene' Villela

Default Mallard (Female) Part II

Attached Images Attached Images

On this shot you can see the feathers better. hopefully you can help me to ID her coz I'm afraid I could be wrong!

On this shot I made sure the bracelet is not showing! :) Let me know if that is cheating! Also I did some PP to it. The image was too center and it is almost full frame. I cropped on the right and I added canvas on the left. Then I cloned the added canvas. I just wanna make sure I've done a decent job since this is the first time I did something as hard as that! Well, it is hard for me! :)

Again, wings positions is very important to me at the moment. Thank you for your comments and advices! Cheers!

PS. I tried a portrait crop but I felt it was too crowded. I am not sure if adding canvas could be a good option in a case like this.

D300 - AF-S 300 f/4, AP wide opened, 1/2500 sec, ISO 200, EV -0.7, Spot metering.
    Last edited by Rene' Villela; 12-21-2008 at 05:54 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

everything you spoke about looks great to me! love the wing position and the placement of the bird in the frame. looks like it could need just a very slight contrast boost?

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action. The water drops make the shot work. Comp. looks good.

Axel Hildebrandt

Cool pose and action. For my taste the bird is too far in the right corner and I would like to see the surface of the water. Might work as vertical, too.

It doesn't look like a mallard to me, maybe a female pintail.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice looking duck!
    To me the blurred wing adds life to the image. Very good job.

Julie Kenward

I think it's lovely but agree that seeing some of the water's surface would help the comp and adding a touch more of contrast would make the bird "pop" against that beautiful blue BG. Beautiful action image!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the wing position, love the splash, love the perfect head angle and EXP, and love the COMP. And love the puzzled look on her face. She is a hen Northern Pintail....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Rene' Villela

Thanks everyone! Uhmm! I have a little problem here, you see, the BG is the water surface. it was really calm and had no reflections at that split second. The bird is just about 3 feet over the water. I guess some PP to the BG would make it look more like water but I am not up to it yet! Cheers!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeppers, Hen Pinny! I'd consider a verticle crop/comp. I like the action in the image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lot of energy in this capture! By the way it is not a mallard female but a pintale female.