Thread: American Kestrel Take Off

Sean McMahon

Default American Kestrel Take Off

Attached Images Attached Images

On of my favorite near misses! Ug! Almost.

The shot reveals the rich color of the male's back, wing and tail plumage.

And I should stick a stick in that pole for next time.

So yup. He's facing the wrong way. :p

That little bit of catch light makes it a viable shot. Well in my mind anyway. ;)

What do you think?

Happy shooting!

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
    Exposure: 1/3200 sec
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Focal Length: 300 mm
    ISO Speed: 200
    Exposure Bias: -1/3 EV
    Last edited by Sean McMahon; 01-21-2008 at 02:00 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sean
    "Been there, done that" with that kind of shot and I know the feeling. Your assessment of the image is right on. Oh, if you had only had him banking a little and been able to get the head clear of the wing, it would have been even better. Your image can be posted larger here. I might want to add a little more room to the top and left....to give him some room to fly into. The bird appears very sharp but I believe that it is underexposed. You can brighten it up but you may also need to remove some noise from the BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sean,

This is gorgeous bird, so I think it's worth it to keep trying to get the bird to cooperate. Here is a little trick you can try to get a good flight image. Observe the bird from a distance to see if you can determine 2 perches it likes to use. Try to observe where the bird goes when it is spooked off one of the perches. Around here, it's usualy a utility pole and when a car drives by it will fly off and fly to the next pole. I position myself near the second pole and wait for a car to drive by. When the bird flys by on it's way to the 2nd pole, I get my flight shot. The key to this is finding repeatable patterns. Good luck!
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.