Thread: "Bird on a stick" - Northern Hawk Owl

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default "Bird on a stick" - Northern Hawk Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

I created this image yesterday in Ottawa's west end about 15 minutes from my home. This bird stayed perched on the tallest branch of a tree for over an hour.

During most of that time it didn't do much but look around. A couple of times however it preened or stretched a wing. I clipped one of the wings when I was shooting in portrait format but I managed this one in landscape format when it was regaining its balance following a strong gust of wind.

Canon 40D, Sigma 50-500mm on BushHawk with Fill Flash. Cropped to about 40% of full frame from Landscape mode. Cloned out several other slightly shorter branches. I have other images with better eye contact but it was looking at another photographer when I made this capture.

ISOSpeedRatings - 640
    ShutterSpeedValue - 1/640 seconds
    ApertureValue - F 7.10
    Flash - Flash fired, Compulsory flash mode
    FocalLength - 363 mm

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Lucky you for getting to photograph a Northern Hawk Owl! The image looks a little washed out to me. Here's a repost where I adjusted your black point and the gamma of the resulting image. I think it gives the bird more of a visual punch.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doug, thanks for the adjustments. It looks much better. Perhaps I'd been looking at the gray sky backgrounds for too long as I didn't realise how faded my original looked.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very unusual and very nice Stephen. I really like the lit face and the eye contact. The composition works well for this pose. Image shows off the feathered feet beautifully.

The only thing I would suggest is a contrast boost and maybe a small boost in saturation.

I guess I have to come to Ottawa to get some Hawk Owls!

(posted same time as Doug's and your reply)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stephen, this is a pretty big bird on a small stick. Did you capture the quick moment or did it actually perch there? I like Doug's repost with the gamma change, and I absolutely like way you captured the visible feathered feet. Nice job!

Tony House

Very nice work, is that the sky or something snow covered as the background? The repost looks very good giving the image more impact.

Like it.
    Tony

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice repost by Doug. Excellent exposure Stephen, and with the steep angle you did well to choose a pose where the owl is looking down. It was nice to see this guy with you yesterday...only wish he had given better opportunities like it did for you here! I'll be back :-)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hate images of birds on sticks with clean backgorunds. Anyone who wastes their time looking for birds on clean perches should get a new life. Much better if this little guy were surrounded by a myraid of sticks and twigs. The less you could see of the bird, the better. I need to see their real habitat.

(I really do hear that a lot...)

more seriously, this is a lovely image skillfully captured. And thanks to Doug for the great re-post. Love the eyes and the feet.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jesus, I got to Arties post and I thought Bloody Mary's were for breakfast...:eek: then he said he was kidding and I laughed! :D

These are not an easy species to get near, so that in and of itself is an accomplishment. The re-post works well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Mike, Glad that I gotcha. Did you ever see the old April Fool's Bulletin?

Actually, most Hawk Owls are pretty approachable bordering on ridiculously tame.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you John C, John I, Tony, Dan Artie and Mike.

John C. you know that you're welcome here anytime. Dan Cadieux and I would be pleased to show you around our little part of Canada.

John I. as I mentioned in my original post the bird sat on this perch fro at least an hour.

Tony we had heavy overcast skies all weekend so this is white cloud cover behind the bird.

Artie I was tempted to leave at least a few of the other twigs in the frame but decided against it. Perhaps I'll post the original version here, after I go back home, for comparison.

Mike this particular bird was not at all bothered by my presense nor by that of a couple of other people but as Dan can tell you it didn't stay on any one perch for more than 2 minutes yesterady when we were there to ry for some better images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Holy cow, Artie...you got me for a split second there too. I remember that April Fool's bulletin quite well :-)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice shot Stephen, I like Dougs repost, and the action is the cool capture.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Im amazed how these guys can be supported on such little perches. I love the look this guy is showing on his face. Well captured Stephen.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hey Mike, Glad that I gotcha. Did you ever see the old April Fool's Bulletin?

Actually, most Hawk Owls are pretty approachable bordering on ridiculously tame.
    I didn't see the thread, I'll go look for it! :)
    Now I know your playful, game on. :D
    I have never seen a NHO, I learned something new... Thank you! ;)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Ray and Stuart.