Thread: Bunting

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bunting

Attached Images Attached Images

I took this picture at a bird feeder in my back yard last march.
    Canon 20D
    600mm
    F5.0
    1/125

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beautiful bird to have visiting your garden!!! Lovely composition but colours look a bit over saturated to me, this however, may have someting to do with my unfamiliarity with this species.

Tim McIntyre

Nice shot although does look a bit oversaturated to me .I would have aimed the camera a bit lower to raise the composition in the frame a bit more to the top.It looks a bit unbalanced to me with all the dead space at the top of the frame.
    Tim

Mike Boyce

Wow Adams, to have such beautys coming to your yard! I'm envious.

And what a nice image! I have always liked the Velvia film color satsuration look. Is it too much? IMHO, not for the intensity of colors. But, I have noticed in my own images that it is difficult to get great detail in yellows and reds - especially when I has photographing with saturation set to high in my camera. I haven't worked with Photoshop enough to know if you lose detail when you saturate colors there.

Either way, it's a fine image. I'ts 4:30AM, and I have to at a meeting at 9AM - What was I thinking. Good night.

Mike

Learning to do by doing!
    Last edited by Mike Boyce; 01-19-2008 at 04:33 AM.

Maxis Gamez

Hi Adams,

Love the pose and colors. The think vertical would of worked best for this image.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really Iike the colors,BG and composition!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

To think I planned an entire trip to Texas around this species and you've got them coming to your backyard! Love the pose -- maybe lessen the blue in the perch a tad?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Scott,
    for the past 3 years they show up in my back yard late november and stayed until april, this year they are running late, i have not seen them yet.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Funny to think that they are a "species of special concern" or some similar designation, but it seems that many great images are appearing nonetheless. Apparently they are trapped in Mexico to be sold as cage birds. This Novemeber in Corkscrew Swamp there were at least 3 males visiting a feeder on a daily basis. All i got were busy BG shots that are not post-worthy ---- not like this ideal BG that you were able to get.

I fooled around with the colors a bit on your image and I tried the following in PS: color balance (all in the yellow-blue channel) -15% shadows, -40% midtones, -15% highlights.

Scott
    Last edited by Scott Linstead; 01-19-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Nicole Brooker

What a beautiful bird and a lovely photo. I also would prefer the bird to be higher in the frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Scott,
    I have a love hate relationship with digital photography, i love taking pictures with my digital camera but i hate computers, so i try to do as little as possible on photoshop. I adjusted the levels 15 -234 contrast +4 saturation +5 and that is the only thing i did.So i apreciate your comments.