Thread: Swamp Sparrow

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Swamp Sparrow

Attached Images Attached Images

Lovely pose of this small fellow who ended up landing right next to me while I was preparing my gear in a local marsh. I feel that it lacks depth of field. Please let me know your opinion.

1/1000
    f/5.6
    420 mm
    D200

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rene
    An excellent assessment of your image. I think the focus point was on the wing.....as it is sharp and then there just wasn't enough DOF for the rest of the bird. When they get that close.....lucky you.....you need to increase your DOF. You can get by with the shallow DOF if the bird is in a parallel plane but get a pose such as this.....and it's going to be evident. You have a nice pose and the exposure looks good and he is a very good looking bird. I like sparrows...and swamp sparrows always seem to show more personality.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yup, the closer you are the more DOF you need. I like the pose and light in this image. I think if you were at a lower angle it would have improved the image and made the perch less evident.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.