Thread: Amherst Island, Owl Woods

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Amherst Island, Owl Woods

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi
    Monday Dec 8th, I checked out Amherst Island..what a day 5 species of Owls, a Shrike and many many raptors...if you get a chance head down there over holiday..you won't be disappointed. Meadow Voles were running around our feet, as we walked. I got all the photos I needed with my 70 - 200 2.8.. Today in Ottawa, Hawk Owl showed up.
    Best of luck and Happy Holidays to all...best wishes for 2009....

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Lagasi; 12-12-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for this post. Might consider coming down here from Toronto. Can't believe you got all these shots just using the 70 - 200.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jackie
    Thanks ... yes I've had lots of lenses..but this one is a keeper..I should have included..that I did have a 1.4 tce-II on the end..but I am falling in love with this lens...As to Amherst from Toronto, stop by Thickson's Woods on way a great pair of Horned Owls nesting there. Paul

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amherst Island got a big dumping of snow I assume.. I went to the owl woods..Tuesday Dec 16 before the first snow storm...then we got another six inches... and six inches coming tonight.. but I did find owls a half a k from general store..but that last unmaintained road would be a 2k walk then you turn off at the circular bend and walk into the owl woods so a good hike in deep snow... hoping for a melt..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the tip, I can still get in with my Jeep and chains, I am going next week and will bring my snowshoes just in case. We're also supposed to get, 20+ inches of snow over the next week. Have a Great Holiday season, Pat.

Paul Lagasi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Year for Owls

Attached Images Attached Images

It just keeps getting better, Great Gray Owl and then finally the sun came out for the Hawk Owl.....9th species of Owl...February 21st, 7 Sawwhet Owls and a Barred Owl on Amherst...
    Last edited by Paul Lagasi; 02-21-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Axel Hildebrandt

Have you seen the more than unfriendly comments on birding forums regarding the behavior of photographers at Amherst Island recently?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes Axel..I've seen that and am very saddened by it (being both an avid birder and photographer), my only consolation, is that it wasn't me....we've had this Hatfield/McCoy feud for about 2 years now in Ontario.

It's a few people, trying to make rules for all.

When I asked a friend, who I consider to be the Best Birder, I know to comment, he said that for large Owls when too many people get close they just leave, but the little Owls (Boreal, Sawhets) they can't or won't leave because (at least at Amherst) they become dinner for some of the bigger Owls.

So they get stressed out and get no rest....

Having said all that its just unfortunate that a minority ruin it for all...

Also as I've said before in my posting, I use a flash sparingly, when photographing these little guys, those huge eyes, using a flash that close may do something...just personal and maybe John Chardine can comment on this.

I just hope that we can all continue to visit Amherst, for birding and photography, for years to come.

Hopefully we can all get along....we should all be albe to enjoy our hobbies whatever they may be..

You can read for yourself...

http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/ONTB.html

I don't agree with Mr. Scott's or Mr. Murr's comment and threats, but also don't agree with Mr. Egressy's reply.

I DON'T WANT ANY PRIVATE MESSAGES OR EMAILS ON THIS SUBJECT, PLEASE

I am not that great a writer but this is only my view on this subject
    Paul Lagasi

Axel Hildebrandt

Thanks, Paul! This is probably not the last time that people disagree on the proper way to approach these birds.

Best,