Thread: Bald Eagle Festival

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bald Eagle Festival

Anyone been to or going to the Bald eagle festival Jan 17-18, 2009 in Keokuk Iowa?
    This will be my first time so I don't know the "hot spots" etc
    Should I call the festival promoters to make sure the eagles are there this year(with the economy the way it is maybe they can't afford it)

Well if anyone has some pointers let me know. Thanks, Jim

Julie Kenward

Not sure about the festival in Iowa but the bald eagles are all at Squaw Creek in Northern Missouri (right at the Nebraska border) as we speak. We've had a few fly over the Missouri river near my home from what I hear.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The hot spots are all along the Mississippi River. From the Wisconsin border south along the river you will find a great number of eagles. Lock aqnd dam #13 is especially good which is about 35 miles north of Davenport is especially good. So much depends on the weather, the colder it is the more they will come south. If it is especially cold, below zero, you will find them congregating at the varrious lock and dams where the water is open and they can fish. I have spent a good deal of time at lock and dam #13 where there can be up to several hundred birds. Hope this is some help to you.

Mac

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mac, Thanks for your response. Where is Lock and Dam # 13 in relation to Keokuck, Iowa? Jim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

James-Sorry not to answered you sooner, but I failed to check for postings. I am afraid that Keokuk is about 160 miles south of Lock and Dam #13. If you will look for Fulton, IL you will be just south of Lock and dam#13 by about 2 miles. I have not been there yet this year but find that in the IBET(Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts) web sight has a report of 103 mature eagles and 83 imature eagles. Google IBET and you can get the latest bird sightings in Illinois. I think I will drive up there next wek before Christmas and I would be more than happy to let you know what I find. I have a new Nikon VR 600mm lens on a D300 with any of the available teleextenders and I would like to know whether this will be enough lens. Let me know.
    Mac

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

James

Here is a link to current eagle counts along the Mississippi in Iowa
    http://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/missriver/

My wife and I are also thinking of going to Keokuk this winter, if you go please let us know how it was

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gary, I decieded not to go. The below zero temps and the last time I looked at the eagle count it had gone down dramatically and the count didn't indicate which direction they had dissapeared to. I see today the counts back up they must have gone to Chicago for the week. Jim Let me know if you go!

David S.

Default Burlington Iowa eagles

I was in Burlington yeaterday at Lock and Dam 18. Tons of eagles. 400 birds easy.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave, Post which ever you think is your best shot. How close could you get to them? Jim

ArtCPhotos

Are the eagles here permanetly or are they just passing by?

David S.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtCPhotos View Post
    Are the eagles here permanetly or are they just passing by?
    Most of the eagles on the Mississippi are migratory birds from Canada and other Northern parts. A few of them are residential birds.

ArtCPhotos

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity to photograph Bald Eagles. What are the dates that are usually best for viewing the Eagles? If I was going to travel there what city would be best to stay in? I would be planning for next year. How close can you get to the Eagles and what lenses would be the best to photograph them? Currently I use an Olympus E3 and have a 50-200mm lens which they say is equivalent to 400mm in a non 4/3rd's format. Thanks!!

David S.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtCPhotos View Post
    This sounds like a wonderful opportunity to photograph Bald Eagles. What are the dates that are usually best for viewing the Eagles? If I was going to travel there what city would be best to stay in? I would be planning for next year. How close can you get to the Eagles and what lenses would be the best to photograph them? Currently I use an Olympus E3 and have a 50-200mm lens which they say is equivalent to 400mm in a non 4/3rd's format. Thanks!!

This link http://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/missriver/ provides bird counts at different lock and dams along the Mississippi. Per the reports, the first part of Dec. thru the end of Jan. seems to yeild the largest bird counts. Keokuk probably has the best viwing areas and places to stay and they also host an Eagle day event about mid January. Burlington is a short drive North from there and also has some good viewing opportunities. Personally I wouldn't go with any lens shorter than 300mm with some converters. Most you see will have a 500mm or longer. Not everybody can afford such lenses so my best advice would be to make do with what you have and look for the closer shots. They fly all over.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Default Lock and Dam 18

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I was in Burlington yeaterday at Lock and Dam 18. Tons of eagles. 400 birds easy.
    I know that this is an old post, but I am planning a trip to the locks and i am not sure of the best viewpoint for L&D #18. Do you shoot from the West side or the East?

thanks,
    Feik