Thread: Mallard

Rene' Villela

Default Mallard

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone!

Nothing fancy, just a little ducky. I found it cute the way he was trying to rest but at the same time he kept an eye on me all the time.

Thank you for your comments! Cheers!

Nikon D300 - AF-S 300 f/4 + TC 1.7x, AP f/6.7, 1/250 sec, ISO 400. Cropped.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a nice portrait of a Mallard René. You have great soft light which shows of the green sheen on the head very well. Your sharpness is good. The water is silky and very complimentary to the bird. You could improve the BG by removing the small particles from the surface. I would also recrop to give less space below the bird than above, and more space left, less space right if you are able (may have to make some canvas which is possible). In this image you do not have a strong reflection of the bird so by cropping at the bottom you would not give the impression that you cut the head off.

Japanese Mallards look like Canadian Mallards!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John makes some excellent points about composition! I'd like to see a little more detail in the dark feathers. Thanks for posting!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good points from above posters. I'll also add that a lower angle, if at all possible, would have given you a more intimate result. Good thing is that Mallards are almost always willing subjects so you can go back again and try out the tips offered :-)

Rene' Villela

First of all, let me thank you all for your good advices. After I saw the picture, I liked it but I had no idea what would be a good crop for it. So that was a good start.

JOHN.... I am not sure if they are Japanese Mallards. They come here for Winter. During the rest of the year there are just a few left. maybe old ones, sick ones and single ones! :). I did cropped the top, bottom and right. and just gave a bit of room on the left. the reason being that I didn't want to loose the original crop format. Uhmmm! I dunno how to say it 3:2 ratio according to NX2. I also cleaned the water surface. It looks much better now (I think). When you mentioned canvas..... well, you lost me there! :) sorry!

DOUG... I couldn't do much with the dark feathers.

DANIEL... You are right! It will be easy to reshoot it! I will! These guys will be here until March. I'll try a lower angle as you suggested.

Well, thank you. I am including a repost. I just did this at lunch time from my office! Thank you all.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great job at cleaning up the water René. What a difference it makes. I played with comp a bit to try to reflect the comment about space above and below. Here is a quick retry.

Rene' Villela

John... I see what you meant! I misread your first reply! OK! then I can give it more room on the left and keep the same ratio to print it! Thanks for your help!