Thread: Planning trip to Corpus/Aransas area

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Planning trip to Corpus/Aransas area

I am planning a trip to the Corpus/Aransas area over spring break and am looking for suggestions for places to go. I have been to the Aransas Birding Center and that is one place I will visit. If you have any advice for places for me to try, I would love the suggestions. I am willing to photograph anything, but main goal is gulls, terns, skimmers, shorebirds, and waders. Any tips are much appreciated.

Paul Wolf

Trey:
    You might try Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. Lots of hiking trails and interesting ecosystems ranging from forest to swamp. They have several platforms, too, that might yield some results for you.

Also, as you may know, there are miles and miles of beaches you can drive on that should give you lots of opportunities for gulls, pelicans, Ruddy Turnstone, and other shore birds.

Spring break may be a little late for the Whooping Crane, but there is a tour I can recommend, because it is a very small boat, and the owner seems to cater to photographers (http://www.texasbirdingphotos.com). Even if you miss the Whooping Cranes, you might want to talk to Kevin Sims, the owner. He has other tours, too, including rookeries that might be good when you visit. The price is very reasonable, if you can get in with other folks taking the tour.

Hope this helps.
    Paul

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Paul, I will be spending at least one day at Aransas NWR and some time on the South Padre beaches.

Do you have any experience at Goose Island or Mustang Island State Parks. I am thinking about staying at one of these. I would prefer the one that would be better for photography, I just do not know which one is best.

Paul Wolf

Trey:
    I visited Mustang Island and took some shorebird shots there, but other than that I have no real experience with it, and I have not gotten to Goose Island. Sorry I can't be of much help.

By the way, there are several forums at www.texasphotoforum.com talking specifically about photo ops at various places in Texas. You might pick up an idea or two from people who actually live and shoot in the area or at least visit often.

Paul

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Re: Texas trip

Trey two things to do on South Padre...The nature centre is a great place to catch migrating birds ...the 2 days I was there I got over 20 species of migrants in a clump of bushes no bigger than 10 square feet...behind the nature centre...easy to find. Also the flats behind the Nature centre were alive with shorebirds, waders, skimmers, gulls and terns. Also check out the small boardwalk for rails, least and common bitterns, yellow headed blackbirds...etc.,

At the time there was a woman (retired policewoman from LA), she invited people in to her home to photograph and watch birds, most people in town know who she is...one of the few sources of water for birds was in her back yard...13 warbler species in 2 hours..and the stories she told...

Also during my 2 visits, the causway to South Padre was great for wading birds...but not sure if they still allow stopping on side of road..there was talk about putting up signs.

The University of Texas (in Brownsville), has lots of walk paths..only place you have a great chance of photographing Least Grebes.

Also the sewage lagoons and the dump in Brownsville good for Gulls, small waders...You might even get the rare (for North America) Mexican (Tamaulipas) Crow

Best of luck
    Its a great birding spot...

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

You can visit Texas Parks&wildlife website for the great Texas birding trail maps.
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...ldlife_trails/

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Trey,

Paradise Pond in Port Aransas could be good with migrants. It is not far from the Aransas Birding Center. On the way to the Birding Center a short distance after departing the ferry on the right there is a motel and then a Mexican restaurant. The lane between these establishments leads to the parking area for the pond. It is a fresh water pond with boardwalks over the water and holds a wide variety of avian species during migration.

Jim

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again for the info. It sounds like there is ample of opportunity. now I just have to narrow my options.