Thread: White-breasted Nuthatch

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-breasted Nuthatch

While out for a walk yesterday morning I came across this very approachable Nuthatch, Canon 20D w/ 200 F/2.8L, F/8.0 @ 1/125 sec, ISO 400, +1/3 ec, manual exposure

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Lovely feather detail and pose, Wayne. More DOF would have been nice but difficult when working this close. Critical focus seems to be on the wing with the eye and bill going a bit soft - some selective sharpening may help. A tiny puff of fill flash may have brought a bit more detail into the breast and feet but may have scared the bird away. A little tight in the frame but a good result.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the pose, setting and BG. I would apply some curves or S/H to get more details in the shadows and would give it a bit more room as the bird is very tight in the frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Classic nuthatch pose with a nice BG. I don't mind the shallow DOF, but I'd like to see the eye sharper. A little more room all around would be nice. Shadow detail looks OK on my monitor.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Linda Robbins

Lovely pose and background. So nice to see such a close-up of the face...a little more sharpening of the face and bill will make this even better. Overall the bird is a little tight in the frame, but I still like your image a lot. Great capture.