Thread: Baby Blowfish Blows It!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Baby Blowfish Blows It?

Attached Images Attached Images

I have seen a variety of wading birds chowing down on baby blowfish. The blowfish inflate themselves in an effort to avoid becoming dinner. This seems like a good strategy but I have never seen it work...

At 9:32 am on a clearing morning, the light was on the harsh side so I needed to wade into deep much to achieve a good sun angle (with my shadow pointed at the bird). I did, but the mud was as deep as it was yucky. Despite my pleadings, most of the IPT group stayed on the shore creating images off-angle to the light and for the most part, they were photographing up the bird's butt, i.e., from behind the subject. You can lead those horse's to water, but... As you would hope, the MIII yields low contrast images in bright sun (and high contrast images in low light).

Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens with 1.4X II TC and the EOS 1D MIII. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/800 sec. at f/11. Little Estero Lagoon, Ft. Myers Beach, FL

All comments welcome. Later and love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 12-31-2007 at 09:13 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did good Artie. Image tells a story. The highlights are great. Did you have highlight tone priority enabled?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,
    Beautiful clean bg and you nailed the exposure. The blown up blow fish is way cool. I don't think the Egret was impressed with him though. I wish the missing section of the bird's neck was visible.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Alfred Forns

I was pulling for the blowfish but it was much to ask !!!!

Love the clean bill and bg !!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

D. Bob, I keep Highlight Tone Priority enabled at all times except when I need to go way low on ISO for blurs. Advance notice: AF (even 45-point) on the MIII 1Ds is totally amazing. As soon as I can convert a few, I will start posting them.

later and love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 12-31-2007 at 12:05 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Judy Lynn Malloch

Well worth the effort Artie. Great capture with excellent exposure and wonderful BG and an perfect angle to see the blowfish.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 12-31-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Maxis Gamez

The angle works very well! The fish is a plus. Very nice!

Axel Hildebrandt

Great behavior shot! I've never seen a blowfish around here. There are some sharpening artifacts around the edges but that really is nitpicking.

Fabs Forns

Great angle, at a cost though ;)

Poor little blowfish, he really fought for his life!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the blowfish, it makes a more interesting image but figure it was a losing propostion for it:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

blue sky as a bg normally doesn't work for me but on this image it is fine. I like the pose, the pastel colors and the contact between your camera and the bird. The fish had no chance to have eye contact with you. :D
    Szimi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SzimiStyle View Post
    Blue sky as a bg normally doesn't work for me but on this image it is fine.
    Hi Szimi,

The background was still blue water lit by sweet early morning light--one of my very favorites. No wonder you liked it!

Later and love, artie

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie
    Although familiar with Blowfish, I've never seen an Egret with one before. It certainly tells a story and without knowing the outcome....you can always think the Blowfish managed an escape.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

And I had to be off chasing a spoonbill in the muck! Very cool event to capture. I have to admit that I like this tight shot vs. the full body shots that some of the others got at the same time.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action shot!!!