Thread: Grey Seal Silhouette

Jasper Doest

Default Grey Seal Silhouette

Attached Images Attached Images

Photographed a couple of weeks ago in the UK. While hosting one of our workshops I didn't really had time to photograph myself....but as all participants were making best of the beautiful light I had time to walk to one of the seals and try a different approach. I had to use a 3 stop ND-grad here to try to show just enough detail in the clouds to make things work. Unfortunately I could only get a couple of images before the sun disappeared behind the clouds. Hopefully I'll be able to spend a bit more time doing the same during my next visit, next week.

Canon EOS1Dmk2N
    Canon EF70-200/2.8L IS USM @ 105mm
    1/200 @ f/11
    ISO160, RAW
    Handheld, anglefinder, 3 stop ND-grad

DanWalters

I really like the comp and that sky is beautiful! Nice shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don't feel alone my friend!! :D Here I am, and with a wonderful comment, for you, I might add. Great shot, while I was shooting seals in the surf from a far to high angle you were actually doing something really different and beautiful. You know I love this shot especially the sunrays touching uppon the seal. The only nit I can think of is the overexposed part of the sky, but I think we already covered that in the 'ballenbak' ;) on the boattrip back to Holland. Have a blast next week buddy.

See ya
    Last edited by Krijn Trimbos; 01-17-2008 at 08:10 AM.

Fabs Forns

I can tell your work from the thumbnail :)

Lovely sky, only need a bit more grounding black for y taste.. Well seen and glad you could at least make a couple of images.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great sky to work with here and I too would like a bit more black FG for an anchor. Unfortunately it's kind of difficult to tell what the seal is... Could be a rock. I had this same problem shooting elephant seals in CA. Only when the bulls reared up was it easy to indentify what the silouette acutally was.