Thread: Re: Barnegat Light/Inlet

Ed Vatza

Default Re: Barnegat Light/Inlet

I just found this report on the DVOC website. I have copied it from there.

"RED-THROATED LOONS, BROWN PELICAN, HARLEQUIN DUCKS, WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS, LAPLAND LONGSPURS and SNOW BUNTINGS were seen at Barnegat Lighthouse State Park on Nov 9."

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Can't wait to go!

Ed Vatza

New Jersey Audubon reports 3 Harlequins so they are just starting to come in. By early December, there should be a good number spread out along the jetty.

The Purple Sandpipers are also beginning to show.

Axel Hildebrandt

I have to make my first trip there sometime soon.

Ed Vatza

I'd give it a couple more weeks. More Harlequins will show up as will more Loons (Common and Red-throated), Purple Sandpipers, etc.

Just a couple of words of advice. Be careful out there. Near the lighthouse, the jetty is covered by a cement walkway. But quickly the railed walkway ends and the rocks continue on for like a half mile. Those rocks while flat for the most part can be very slippery on a cold winter morning. I know. I fell out there last year. Saved the camera but banged up my knees, etc pretty well. The majority of the Harlequins are farther out along the jetty. I also got caught in the back by a wave that came up over the jetty while I was focusing on some Purple Sandpipers on the jetty rocks.

But its worth it when you get some great images of one of the most beautiful ducks in the world! :)

Axel Hildebrandt

Harlequins are among my favorite ducks, they are beautiful and I like their sounds. Last winter I fell on Cape Ann on icy rocks and almost fell into the ocean. The images looked good, though. :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for all the information Ed. I will also wait a couple of weeks before my treck up there. I'm heading to Easton MD. for a big wildfowl show tomorrow. Though the weather doesn't look great, we'll pack our gear anyway.

Art Peslak

I was at Barnegat light this morning. Plenty of Harlequins plus black bellied plovers on the jetty. I didn't see any eiders, scoters or purple sandpipers today. A few common loons in winter plumage but too far out to photograph.

It felt like January, temperature in the 20's with the wind blowing a gale.

Ed Vatza

Thanks for the update, Art. I want to get down there soon and photograph the Harlequins again but I think we are going to do the North Shore tomorrow an see what the lakes and inlets hold.