Thread: Gree bee-eater

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gree bee-eater

Attached Images Attached Images

I shot this from my car in Nagarholle National Park in India. EOS 1D Mark II, EF 400mm F2.8 L IS, EF 2x II converter, 1/500 sec, f5.6, ISO 400. It flew and sat on an anthill by the side of my SUV. It was so close, I had to move back within the vehicle to bring it into focus.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good composition and BG Sabyasachi and good subject matter. Maybe some more work with Levels to brighten up the plumage would help to give this image a lift. Not very keen on birds looking head-on into the camera as the eyes are often partly obscured as they are here. Fill flash to get a catchlight in an eye is generally worthwhile.

Del Cockroft

A nice exposure and BG but you have clipped the birds tail and I don't think your copyright notice should obscure part of the subject, albeit in a very small way.

Linda Robbins

I like the head on pose of this lovely bird, and the clean bg. It is unfortunate that the tail is clipped, but it sounds like you would have had to get out of the car on the far side since he was so close. Not a problem we always run into! I agree that a little work in curves to brighten the image a bit would improve it. The large copyright notice is a distraction, and would have been better if it had been placed on the lower right.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice image. I wish the tail wasn't clipped. and I think this one warrants a bit more work in PS. I think some tweaking of levels and saturation could make this one POP!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The Green bee-eater is a small bird. While shooting I knew that the tail is clipped. The tail is rather long and is slightly more than double of what is captured in the picture. In the shots where I have captured the entire bird, the body portion appears rather small and the feather details doesn't look as attractive as this. What do you think is right? A tight crop or a picture which captures the entire bird.

I mostly concentrate on shooting tigers and large mammals, so bird photography is not my forte. I would appreciate your comments. Also, I don't use photoshop. I use lightroom and have no idea how to change the placement of the copyright notice. This picture is just converted from raw, without the slightest of colour corrections. I will try to work on the curves to see the result.

Fabs Forns

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sabyasachi,

I played a bit with it. Some curves adjustment, then selected the eyes with quick mas, you could use the marquee or lasso tools also, byt then you must feather the selection. Ran some more curves on the eyes to make them lighter and then sharpened them.

Hope you like it!