Thread: Wide-Angle Macro

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wide-Angle Macro

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 20D, Sigma 10-20 at 20mm, 12mm extension tube, ISO 100, Av 1/5 sec at f/32; overcast light
    ACR: adjusted white balance & exposure
    PSCS2: increased contrast & saturation, cropped (~90%) for composition

This is sort of a bug's-eye view created by placing the lens inside the flower (a daylilly in my back yard). By using a wide-angle lens (32mm in 35mm-equivalent) with a short extension tube, I achieved a magnification of almost 1:2 on the stamens, which were about 1/2 inch from the front of the lens, together with a depth of field which renders other flower buds up to 6 feet away recognizable (though out of focus).

I'd really like to have your thoughts on how I can improve this.

Alfred Forns

Love the tech behind the image Chris Excellent detail and great feel The bold colors work very well This opens lots of possibilities !!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The technique can be a little tricky. With such a large (relative) extension on a wide-angle lens, the total range of focus is about 1/2 inch to 1 inch in front of the lens. At the same time, a chain link fence 40 feet away will be recognizable (as I discovered while working on the series of photos that lead up to this one).

Jim Caldwell

Nice image, Chris. I imagine that the short focal length lens and small aperature really contribute to the deep focus you achieved here. I use extension tubes a lot on my longer focal length lenses and you have inspired me to try it with my shorter lenses!

Robert O'Toole

Cool technique Chris.

The shot is good, colorful and the comp is nice. The colors do look a little flat, what did you use to increase the contrast? An S curve might help.

Robert

Mike Moats

Hey Chris, I like the position of the flower coming out of the corner on a diagonal. The BG adds a little contrast in colors.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert O'Toole View Post
    Cool technique Chris.

The shot is good, colorful and the comp is nice. The colors do look a little flat, what did you use to increase the contrast? An S curve might help.

Robert
    Robert,
    Unfortunately, these flowers are a rather dull orange to start with, and the overcast light softens the color further. I used USM at 25/50/0, then pulled the midtone slider on a levels layer to 0.80.

Here's an update with an S curve added. I think it does help. Thanks.

Chris