Thread: European Goldfinch

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European Goldfinch

Attached Images Attached Images

We have those big plants in our garden and we keep them for the goldfinches, even if they are not really beautiful in autumn and winter ;). The Goldfinches love them!

Now they come and eat the seeds.
    Made with my Mark III
    500mm + 1.7 TC
    1/400 sec
    f 4 (TC doesn't record the data)
    ISO 1600

All Comments very welcome: special always my problem: not enough sharpening? Not enough saturation? Not enough contrast?
    Willing to learn :D

Thank you for looking at the image!

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Just a bit contrast and smart sharpen,looks better to my eyes,what about your eyes:):):)
    Anyway a great image,I Iove the beautiful perch and the fantastic bg`s color!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

These birds are lovely, Rosl. I agree with Manos, the BG and perch are really great. I would limit the sharpening to the bird and probably increase the reds a bit. Compared to the Goldfinches introduced to NZ the face looks a bit dull. There seems to be a fairly strong warm colour cast to the image and this may be affecting how the reds look to me. Would be nice if he were sitting sideways to show off some of the lovely yellows too. This set-up has great potential. I can see why you keep the plants:)
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Alexander Koenders

A find the orignal picture verry nice and the one chanced by Manos just to sharp

Bill McCrystyn

Hi Rosi, just wanted to say I liked the image. I think Manos did a nice adjust on both. I like the sharpness on the plant as well as it is an interesting subject. The shapes and curls are really cool and add interest overall.

I did have a question on your TC stated being 1.7X. I didn't think that size was available with Canon. I thought only a 1.4 or a 2.0?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Manos,
    thank you for working with my image. You did areally good job, I like it a lot!

Hi Tony,
    I will show one with more of the yellow dots...

Hi Bill,
    there is a 1.7 TC made from "SOLIGOR". I think you don't know this one in the States. Lots of people think, that the quality is poor, but most of my wildlife pictures are made with it and I think that the quality is very good!
    It is cheap (about 150.- €) and you can use all focus points, because it doesn't record the TC data to the Camera.

Thanks to all of you for looking at and commenting my image!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rosl,
    I like the image. I too was wondering about the 1.7 TC. It seems to be working for you. The background is superb. Look for more shots.
    Cheers,
    Sabyasachi