Thread: The Rookery

Bill McCrystyn

Default The Rookery

I shot these Cattle Egrets from a boat about 50' from the subjects with a Canon 20D, 100-400L IS at f/8 1/800 ISO 400 EFL 640mm. I had to crop tight because of all the other birds in the frame. I figured close was better to capture the small chicks in the nest. The ugly ducklings - err Egrets. Thanks for your critique. Bill
    Last edited by Bill McCrystyn; 01-23-2008 at 02:30 PM.

David Dilworth

Nice family photo. It could be a little sharper, but considering you took the photo from a boat I'd say you did quite well. I hate noise and would prefer a little less background noise. If you didn't use de-noiser software on this photo you might try it to see if you like the photo better. The photo has a little bit too much saturation for me. I would back off just a tad on the intense colors, but just a tad. The colors are one of the good features of this photo.

Bill McCrystyn

Thanks David, I was just racing around in panic trying to see who I could talk to about the color saturation "trasfomation"??? The thumbnail looks correct but the posted image is way out of wack. I wonder if it is the web conversion I used from RAW. My 16 bit Tiff does not show this way. If it continues I will purposley tone down 3-5% before I submit. Any thoughts on your part would be appreciated. I did not use Noise Ninja but have considered buying the product. Is that what you would recommend? Thanks much, Bill

Bill McCrystyn

I think I have found my problem. I went back into CS3 and compared a JPEG of this image I use on another site. I had to reduce my "for the web" version on color saturation by 35% to match my Jpeg and Tiff of this image. I will never try using "save for the web" again. I will repost this image again Thursday for further review. Thanks everyone for their patience with this rookie.

Fabs Forns

Attached Images Attached Images

Bill,

Have you done this in PS?

Otherwise, you may be looking at something in your computer and showing a total different story in the web: