Thread: Milkweed Ballerina

Bee Emily

Default Milkweed Ballerina

Attached Images Attached Images

I was exploring on my birthday in October of 2006 and came upon thousands of milkweed pods opening and releasing their seeds into the wind.
    Kodak z740 1/125, f32., 82mm, iso 80, handheld, PS6
    Last edited by Bee Emily; 11-01-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: wrong image posted

Paul Marcellini

I like the idea. Exposure looks good too. I think maybe a crop off the right to eliminate the bright eye catching spots would help. It would also get the seed slightly off center which may help composition too. It looks like it is about to blow off to the left, so I like having room there for it to "move" into.

Julie Kenward

Nice one, Bee! I think a vertical crop might work better than the horizontal one, although I think Paul is right in that it would be nice to leave room for it to "blow into." I'd try a vertical crop with it on the ROT's position on the right side and see what you think.

Bee Emily

Default Milkweed Ballerina repost

Attached Images Attached Images

Julie and Paul,
    I cropped out the bright spots and went for the seed more off center. I am not sure what "ROTs" position means. I am new to all the lingo.

Julie Kenward

Bee Emily, I'm sure there's something in our educational forum about the rule of thirds ROT's) but you can also do a google search and I'm sure you can find an explantation. Basically, it's what you did in the repost...you moved it into the right "third" of the image instead of having it dead center. It looks much better there, don't you think?

Bee Emily

Jules,
    I do know some about the rule of thirds, just didn't know the "shorthand" (ROT). Kind of like LOL and TY.
    I do like it better. TY for your help!!!

Mike Moats

Hey Bee, nice capture and good job on the whites, the repost in the thirds look more natural and less composed. Well done.

Bee Emily

Thanks Mike!!!!