Thread: Paper Wasp in the green room

Robert O'Toole

Default Paper Wasp in the green room

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot in Pinellas Co. Florida at a park garden near my home base. Nest was set up in a rolled up palm frond. The trick was to balance the flash, background and diffused light through the frond. A straight shot would have resulted in a black background for the wasp.

Single Nikon SB-R200 wireless flash head used in manual mode.

The D300/SB-R200 and Sigma 150 works like a dream. Dont miss dragging around my old EOS-1DSMKII,180,580EX for a second.

NIKON D300 and Sigma 150 EX Macro
    Shutter speed: 1/320 sec
    Aperture: 5.6
    Exposure mode: Manual
    Flash: On
    Metering mode: Multi-segment
    ISO: 320
    Focal length: 150mm
    Focal length: 225mm (in 35mm film)
    Color space: sRGB

Maxis Gamez

Hey Robert,

This is simply awesome. Very nice in every aspect. The details and composition are fantastic.

Alfred Forns

Might be my favorite of your macro images Robert !!!!! Sweet !!!!

Blake Shadle

Killer image, Robert! This has a great sense of atmosphere. I love the background with the soft gradients of light green. The only thing that keeps pulling my eye is the most forward out of focus section of the nest. But, it's a fair trade for that dreamy background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great color and BG. Big conrats on this one.....

Judy Lynn Malloch

Incredible image with excellent clarity and sharpness and I love the angle of this capture. You not only got the wasp but the nest and eggs as well. Well worth all your effort Robert. I love it.

Linda Robbins

I'm glad you posted this one Robert...it is one of my favorites of your macro images. Beautiful composition and execution. Amazing capture, and the two eggs put it over the top.

Tod Witt

Hi Robert...Great shot! The green background is what does it, a dark or black background would not have the same the punch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A stunning image of this paper wasp Robert - sharp where it counts and enhnced with that beautiful green BG. Would a slightly smaller aperature improved the DOF on the front egg chamber? I know I've a bad habit of nearly always using F16 or smaller for my macro shots but I am learning that this can introduce unwanted BG elements creeping into the image.

Robert O'Toole

You are right about the egg better DOF that would be ideal.

I did try some at a higher power on the flash for more DOF, but its a tough balance. As I moved down in aperture, the background will darken more and more unless you go with a higher ISO or a longer shutter speed which can and usually will show ghosting. Due to the wind a tripod would never work.

Usually I would prefer to use F16, but since I am handholding, unless conditions are ideal I can never move past F11 and keep a clean bright background due to the fast shutter speed. On the other hand if the image doesnt show a BG, like shooting down on a leaf, I can use F16 since I dont have balance the light levels, BG vs. FG.

Robert