Thread: Common Goldeneye - first images with new 40D!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Goldeneye - first images with new 40D!!

Hey everyone,

Today was sunny and I ventured out to test out my new 40D. It performed excellently :) I really like the new highlight recovery mode and it came in handy on these high contrast goldeneyes.

This is also the first image Ive processed using ACR so I'd love to hear how everyone thinks the processing is looking.

Cheers!

Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
    Shutter speed: 1/800 sec
    Aperture: 8
    Exposure mode: Av
    Exposure compensation: -1/3
    ISO: 320
    Focal length: 500mm + 1.4x
    Full frame :)

Fabs Forns

Whooooa!!! Nice, Glenn, enjoy your new toy :)

Wish for a bit more of the water trail behind this beauty. Great exposure control. Does it work in 14 bit? I find that makes a BIG difference.

Judd Patterson

Glad that you have the 40D, Glenn! You did an excellent job catching that magnificent green on the head. It's also great that you and the camera handled the exposure so well...my personal preference would be to allow the feathers to go just a bit whiter (they seem a little gray). You might just try a slight curves adjustment on the feathers so that you go closer to white while retaining important contrast.

Rick A. Brown

Simply awesome, nice low angle, good light, and of course a lovely bird. Looks like I really should come to Vancouver Island when I finish my current project.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Great shot Glen, I really like the blue on the water of the wake and droplets on the feather tips - it complements the yellow eye beautifully - agree with Fabs that a longer trail would add to the image.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Maxis Gamez

Very nice Glen. The pose is terrific and the eyes are incredible.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you've done well. The 14bit and highlight priority mode work well on these types of subjects.. A little more room all around would be nice.

Hillebrand Breuker

congrats with the new toy. Seems an excellent camera! the whites are a bit off. A bit more space around has also been mentioned.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

congrats......excellent capture!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just terrific, Glenn! I love this species and you did a great job on your exposure with this guy.

David Dilworth

Excellent photo of this bird - one of the best I've seen posted online. I don't mind the crop at the water trail, but my preference would be to have more real estate above the bird. The reflection of the bird in this photo does not add to it, IMO. Seeing a little more of the water might balance out the intensity of the whiteness on the body of the bird. Regardless, I'd include it in my yearly bird calendar just as it is.