Thread: Cooper's Hawk

Rachel Bilodeau

Default Cooper's Hawk

Well here you go - this is my first post here - I hope I can survive this decision hehe

This image of an adult cooper hawk was captured in Montreal this weekend, at the Montreal Botanical Gardens - we were looking for the European Goldfinch, when suddenly I saw this cooper's hawk, very proud of his prey (a rock dove pidgeon), and he was essentially posing for me hehehe - I had time to change lens, change exposure - moved around quite a bit to avoid elements in the background - I wanted to be at his eye level as much as possible - so here it goes

Shot with Canon 30D, canon lens 300 F4 IS, hand held
    Date/Time13-Jan-2008 10:23:17 - Flash Used: No - Focal Length: 300 mm - Exposure Time: 1/1000 sec - Aperture: f/7.1 - ISO Equivalent: 250

Fabs Forns

Hi Rachel et bienvenue :)

Big welcome to BPN!

He seems to be eyeing you in case you are interested in his meal :)

I find the snow in the foreground a little distracting, but it's too close to the tail to be cropped. It must have been exciting to see this happening in front of you.
    Hoping to make your experience here a fruitful one.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice first post. Beautiful color and focus. The snow highlights are blown so I would try to fix or crop. I would crop a bit from the right, but I like more symmetric centered images than others.

Mark

John Zimmerman

Welcome Rachel. What a great photograph. I also agree about the snow in the foreground. I wish I could have been there (had to go shopping for non camera stuff).