Thread: Woody

bill kominsky

Default Woody W/50-D

Attached Images Attached Images

Woody from the new 50-D folks with very little editing of any type. The images were sharp and well defined and very easy to handle, a very lovely camera

Canon 50-D at f/8 @ 1/320th of a sec. A-mode and a 100-400 IS at 400-MM. ISO=400
    Please let me know and all visits and comments are greatly appreciated.

Bill
    Last edited by bill kominsky; 10-15-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What was the ISO setting Bill? (OK now I see it; must be going blind!). There seems to be some noise in the BG above the bird.

Nice Red-bellied WP! The comp is unusual but with the bird more to the right, the tree trunk would have stuck out like a sore thumb as they say. The highlights in and around the pine are hot. Maybe some S/H in Ps would tone them down.
    Last edited by John Chardine; 10-16-2008 at 05:55 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on your new 50D Bill! I'll be interested to see what you think of it in the coming weeks. This was a tough shooting situation due to the relatively dark foreground and bright BG. It does seem a little noisy for ISO 400 in the top of the frame. Still, it's a nice first post. New bodies take time to become accustomed to, but I believe it's time well spent with the 50D.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice, I like the species a lot, the BG with that burned branch is a bit distracting and about the compo I would've left a bit more room to the left, there is a lot of noise but that can be easily removed, higher shutter speed would've helped to get a sharper image, I would've probably expose to the BG and use a flash to fill the bird who I guess was in the shadows. Still, very nice! Congratulaitons!

bill kominsky

I saw the noise and was pretty disapointed in that I thought the camera would handle it better, this image was all no editing and almost directly out of the camera, next time I will edit somewhat, thank you all so much and if any help with the noise is out there it would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bill, was this shot RAW or JPEG? If it was shot RAW, what program did you use for RAW conversion?
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bill kominsky View Post
    I saw the noise and was pretty disapointed in that I thought the camera would handle it better, this image was all no editing and almost directly out of the camera, next time I will edit somewhat, thank you all so much and if any help with the noise is out there it would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
    Bill- I use Noise Ninja but I often find that a noise "touch-up" can be accomplished with a soft (zero hardness) blur brush in Ps. This works for areas that are OOF to begin with like BGs. Here is your image after about 2 minutes work with the brush.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Lovely capture of the red bellied woodpecker Bill. I too use noise ninja and it works very well. Thanks for sharing.